Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wiring 220 in a Sub Panel

Gregm

Jun 3, 2010
I am looking to upgrade the electrical service in my shed to 100amp sub panel and bring up to code the wiring from the meter and 200amp circuit breaker located on an electrical pole 30 feet from my shed.

I will be bring 4 wires to the sub panel in the shed 2 hot, seperate neutral and seperate ground

My question is on wiring a well. Currently there is 3 wires run to the pressure switch ( 1 black, 1 white and a 1 ground), then 3 wires ( 1 black, 1 white and a 1 ground) running to the 220 pump. When I put in the sub panel in the shed the neutral and ground will NOT be bond together.

The ground wire from the pressure switch does it go to the ground side of the sub panel?

Thanks in advance for the help.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I will be bring 4 wires to the sub panel in the shed 2 hot, seperate neutral and seperate ground...

Have you verified local/federal codes? Ground is generally required to be done at each service location with a grounding rod, not wired from a separate location...

When I put in the sub panel in the shed the neutral and ground will NOT be bond together.

Why not? It's almost certainly CODE (in most areas) to bond them at the panel, this prevents reverse feeding into the circuits aka keeps them at the same potential so you don't get back feeding...

The short of the answer is why are you potentially and deliberately breaking the code and laws? They are code and laws for a reason...

Gregm

Jun 3, 2010
Just the opposite I am Following code and I have talked to local county inspector and he said I am following the code. What I did not ask him about is well. I will stop and see him and get the answer to my question.

The county building inspector said the yellow wire connection located in the 200amp circuit breaker box at the pole. This ground/neutral needs to connect the separate ground and neutral wires that I will be running to the shed here AND connect another wire and run that to a ground pole directly under the box. 4 wires will run to the shed

The sub panel (in shed) the ground and neutral will NOT be bonded this comes from the building inspector and another ground rod will be installed off the sub panel ground.

I will be getting a building permit, just to get it inspected and insure it is done correctly and to CODE.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
The sub panel (in shed) the ground and neutral will NOT be bonded this comes from the building inspector and another ground rod will be installed off the sub panel ground.

That is because it appears (I have limited physic abilities) they are already bonded at the 'service' location you are pulling from, and in your case I assume that is the pole and not the shed, the shed being a true 'sub' panel of the pole service... Thus the neutral and ground are still bonded in the system, they just are not bonded at multiple points in the same system as this could cause a ground loop...

As for you question, yes the ground wire always goes to the ground location of the box not the neutral as it's a ground wire not a neutral wire... In your case (if this is US residential 220) both 'hots' to the pump are out of phase so they cancel out and thus you don't need the neutral, the ground is there for safety and a backup if something goes wrong with one of the feeds...

Last edited:

Gregm

Jun 3, 2010
Thank you for the response, the explanation and answering my question. The explanation why the sub panel is not bond was very helpful makes more sense to me now.