Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wiring for a 3 phase motor starter blowing L1 fuse

outlawspeeder

Dec 10, 2020
I bought a 1943 milling machine and I am trying to get it running. I believe when I got it, it was wired to 480V 3Phase, it came out of a large shop. It also had a bad 10HP motor, confirmed by a motor shop. I bought a used motor and hooked it up. When I tried to start it, the fuse under L1 blew. Thinking I had a bad motor again I took it to the same shop. They checked it out and said it needs new bearings, done. I've reinstalled the motor.

I have the motor in but before I go back and blew more fuses I thought I would ask for a hand.
HELP!
I am using household 220V to power this.
I do not have the 2 fuses between going to the transformer.
The J wire is removed on the transformer.
With power on and the transformer getting power all is good.
Without the motor, I tested the start and stop buttons and it is good. Relay closed and held.

The fuse blows when I press the start button with motor hooked up. I get some chatter, motor starts to spin, and then the the fuse blows.

***Do I need the Transformer? or can I just come off L1 and ground to get 110V to power the relay?
Is the ground on X2 right?

Is this why I blew the fuse?
I am using a Phase-o-Matic for the 3rd leg and it is wired to L3.

I know I am missed something but I don't know what. If I did miss something ask please!!

fetch

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
your image didnt upload, please try again :)

use jpg, max size 100kb and max pixel size 1024 x 768

outlawspeeder

Dec 10, 2020
Sorry for no photo. It it an older starter. Trying to save the cost of buying new and can't find used. The local supply in STL, "Gateway Electronics" just closed after 60 years.

upload_2021-1-3_21-23-36.png

ColKlonk

Dec 22, 2020
Household 220V is usually single phase (1P) and this motor looks like it's (3P) Delta connected = Not going to work.
Unless you have 220V 3-phase (3P) at home.

Chatter is usaully a sign of too low voltage on your relays, which could be a result of the wiring on the transformer connection wired for Dual Voltage, when it should be wired for Single Voltage - This is usually used to swop between 110V (USA) and 220 (EU) utility supply. Also check which Utility supply this motor is made for.

But before you do anything, check up on the motor wrt Single or Three Phase operation.
Plonking single-phase power on a three-phase machine is not going to make your day. ;)

outlawspeeder

Dec 10, 2020
Sorry it is a 3 phase and I have a Phase-o-Matic, PAM-1200 HD driving it before the fuses. It is sized for a 10HP motor. The leg "B" is going to L3.
upload_2021-1-4_12-44-33.png

The old motor that was installed was set up for 440V, running this with a 220V I think it is just that the fuses are to small. The size installed are FRS-R-20. Is FRS-R-20 a 20 AMP fuse?

upload_2021-1-4_12-42-37.png

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Photo not clear and does not show the complete label.
Same for your original schematic above. #3.
Tip is to review and see if you can read it before posting.

Motors can pull up to 4 times full load current at startup, that's why there is such a device as motor start fuse.
10hp I'm guessing has a full load current of around 15 amp on 440v,
No idea what that would be on 220v via your new controller as there may well be soft start programmed into it.
Perhaps the manufacturer of your new controller has some details.
What are you using for fuses..? wire...hrc...??
Is the motor loaded at startup or disengaged...?

Last edited:

ColKlonk

Dec 22, 2020
Looking at the chatterering relay/contactor, which indicates a low voltage (or cycling thereof) on the relay/contactor coil.
Not having played with this type of equipment before, so just thinking..
During motor startup, the load conditions can be as high as 3x-5x the motor rating, and settles down to normal ratings once running.
So for a 10HP motor you're looking at around 15-20HP power unit, unless of course you have a 'smart' motor controller.

- If your phases are incorrect it might lead to overloading as the motor struggles to get going.
This overloading lowers that phase supply voltage, causing the relay to chatter.
This chattering holds the motor in start overload/surge condition, eventually blowing the fuses.

- Your phases are correct but transformer connection (looks like these goto the rotor) is not correct (Primary dual/single Voltage)
Same chattering and overloading scenario.

Also as BlueJets has mentioned, general motor overload.

Last edited: