Maker Pro
Maker Pro

wiring multiple candles

Debra Fulford

Mar 22, 2015
Hi,

I am wanting to attempt to wire 3 led flickering tea-lights together to run from one battery power source. I have been on a website that showed how to do this but I need a few more answers, I am hoping someone here will help.

Each tealight is 3W. I will be wiring them in series to a battery pack. I was wondering if I use a 4 x AA (6V total) battery pack in series with a resistor so as not to overload the LEDs, will this mean that the batteries won't have to be changed as often? Or should I just go with a 2 x AA battery pack with or without a resistor?

Also for future reference, how many of the lights could I connect together before it starts to affect the brightness of the lights?
Edit: One more question as I look for resistors do I need 3W and 150 ohm+ or is it 3W or 150 ohm+.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
I've never seen a tea light that used 3W; that would be a camp fire. Did you mean 3V perhaps? If these tea lights flicker like a candle, you need to wire them in parallel as the flicker circuit will require a relatively constant voltage. What batteries do they ordinarily run on?

Last edited:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi,

I am wanting to attempt to wire 3 led flickering tea-lights together to run from one battery power source. I have been on a website that showed how to do this but I need a few more answers, I am hoping someone here will help.

Each tealight is 3W. I will be wiring them in series to a battery pack. I was wondering if I use a 4 x AA (6V total) battery pack in series with a resistor so as not to overload the LEDs, will this mean that the batteries won't have to be changed as often? Or should I just go with a 2 x AA battery pack with or without a resistor?

Also for future reference, how many of the lights could I connect together before it starts to affect the brightness of the lights?
Edit: One more question as I look for resistors do I need 3W and 150 ohm+ or is it 3W or 150 ohm+.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
You are not the first to want to do something like this. Perhaps you should give this > https://www.electronicspoint.com/threads/convert-from-aaa-to-wall-plug-in.272855/ < a quick read and see how much applies to you?
Don't make assumptions, if you are not absolutely sure on something, let us know!
Everyone here is pretty good at figuring things out.

*There will be a big difference... in that yours will not be powered by a wall outlet... that said, details on how to connect them together will still be the same.