Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wiring old AT switch to relay to power Pi

James Venn

Apr 18, 2015
Hi everyone,

I've set myself a personal project of taking a dreamcast and fitting a raspberry pi 2 into it. The aim is to have a retro gaming machine, and that means replacing all the dreamcast controller ports with usb females, the old 56k modem with a rj45 connector for network capabilities, I'm even going to try and get a working dvd/cd rom working to replace the gdrom that used to be there.

Most of this is quite simple, the pi has great functionality and at most I just need to fit in a usb hub, wire up an ethernet port etc - but for now my challenege is powering the thing.

I'm a total noob at electronic, but I want to make this thing as OEM as possible. So that means using the original switch (if possible) and using the original LED to show the machine is powered.

Before I launch into wiring it up, I wanted to run this past those in the know to make sure I'm doing this correctly and wont blow myself or anything up.

I've got a 5V 2.1A powersupply, this will feed its positive through a fuse into the old AT switch (which has only two wires, its nc so when enabled completes the circuit and powers the device), this then will feed from its secondary wire into the positive on the relay. The negative on the relay will connect to the ground on the powersupply. The relay itself (Beta Electric BMY5-2C) has 2 nc, 2 no and I think I need to connect one nc to the positive on the micro usb cable, and then have the negative on the microusb cable going to the ground of the powersupply.

Does that sound right?

Thanks!a

James Venn

Apr 18, 2015
I forgot to mention on the secondary nc pin i'd like to wire in a resistor ad then an led to indicate the machine is powered.