Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wiring security a camera to doorbell wires

circuitmaker

Mar 20, 2024
Hi there,
I want to hang a security camera outside, but our HOA is pretty strict. They ask for design documentation for any changes outside of the townhouse. I don't want to deal with it, preparing docs, fishing wires, drilling holes, etc. I came up with a crazy idea to connect a small security camera to the doorbell wires in parallel with a Ring doorbell. What can go wrong if the doorbell switch is pushed? I expect the camera will just lose the power supply for a moment. Is that true? Other than that it should not cause any major issues. What do you think?
If it does not sound too crazy, I want to 3D print an enclosure for both, doorbell and camera.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I want to hang a security camera outside, but our HOA is pretty strict. They ask for design documentation for any changes outside of the townhouse. I don't want to deal with it, preparing docs, fishing wires, drilling holes, etc.

seriously ??
there's many WiFi ( wireless) cameras out there. Many of them are very small

circuitmaker

Mar 20, 2024
Thanks, everyone, I am aware of the wireless wifi cameras. I even had a couple of models. Even though they may guarantee year-long batteries and a relatively easy battery-swapping mechanism. They usually don't last longer than 2-3 weeks. It is not maintainable to charge it that often.