Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wiring sliding/linear potentiometer

Harry Karmel

Aug 31, 2016
Hi,
I am, for the most part, a novice when it comes to electronics. However i have bought a linear/sliding potentiometer (see here: Bourns PTA Series, Linear Potentiometer, 10kΩ, ±20%, 0.25W, Through Hole). It has 4 holes in the bottom but only three have the metal casing (I assume for earth, neutral and live). However these are numbererd but i'm not sure if it is the holes that are numbered, or the "pillars" as the numbers are next to the holes and pillars. I have wired it up to a joystick, so that i can use it in my flight simulator. I know which end the live, neutral, and earth wires need to go as i have seen a diagram. However when i move the slider, to calibrate it, it is not registered, but when i rub my finger on the live wire, it registers, and the "axis" begins to move (though erratically), since my finger is creating a charge. So could anyone show me how to wire this up?
Thanks a lot
Harry Karmel

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The terms Live, Neutral, Earth are only used in AC power supply or systems.
With a 3 terminal Pot they connections are usually +ve, Common and the centre as Slider.
M.

Harry Karmel

Aug 31, 2016
Thanks for the replies.
Whoops- I assumed with the joystick having three wires (red, white and black) coming from an axis, they were earth, neutral and live! Thanks for referring me to the manual, however it doesn't say how to wire it (it least that's what it looks like the me!)
Thanks
Harry Karmel

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
There is only three possible connections, do you have a meter?
If so power the unit and check for the highest voltage across any two, the positive will be one extreme end of the Pot, the negative or common is the other end, one connection should most likely be something in between the two higher ones, if so connect this to the centre or slider.
Again, no such thing on that unit calls for earth, Neutral and Live terminology.
If the control is backwards, swap the outer two, leave the slider or centre one.
M.

Harry Karmel

Aug 31, 2016
I tried to approach my problem using my (lack of!) knowledge and some logic but it turns out that trial and error works best as it now works! Thanks for your help
Harry