Maker Pro
Maker Pro

[woo] Does anyone know of this breakthrough technology ?

Merlin3189

Aug 4, 2011
.... No faculty members are named. .... The Griffith University "Power Electronic and Magnetics research Lab" mentioned in the "report" doesn't get any hits on Google (apart from the "report" itself). Does it even exist?
For what it may be worth, the report claims to be produced by
"Junwei Lu" http://www.griffith.edu.au/engineer...school-engineering/staff/professor-jun-wei-lu and
"Chirag Panchal", http://www.griffith.edu.au/science-...technology-centre/rhd-students/chirag-panchal who appears to be a research student supervised by Junwei Lu.

As you say, even on their website there is no mention of "Power Electronic and Magnetics research Lab", as far as I can see.

On the summary report itself, which I am unable to evaluate (btw has anyone seen the actual report?), I am surprised that the power is measured downstream of the PFC device. I'm no expert on this, but I thought PFC affected only the upstream power consumption, adding cost for the suppliers rather than the user. Power supply companies and EEC regulations require PFC for large consumers. If users always made savings by PFC, would they need regulations?
Of course this device does not work in the same way as normal PFC and apparently no current at all can flow through it, so it may not matter where it is connected. (Though the instructions seem to say otherwise.)

mikey5791

Jun 7, 2013
After reading through all the comments, I agree the said energy saver technology is merely unfounded theory using a lot of jargon such as nano tech particles. I personally doubt the effectiveness of reducing electricity bills by placing a "card" on the consumer mains unit.

Thanks to all who contributed informative knowledge and the link.

Michael Chu

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Here is a good read. Once you get through the legal stuff there are some reports on the efficacy of the device.

Spoiler "none" and "not significantly different from 0".

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Well, they have an out on the testing done by Intertek. They used a clean lab power supply for the test. If the device is supposed to clean up "dirty" power, then one could argue that it would have no affect on already clean power.

I am not saying that the device works, only that the test was not correct based on their claims.

Bob

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
A bit curious now... Even if you took the 'noise' out of your mains when it comes into your house, would the actual power consumption change? If so by how much?