Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Would it be difficult to add a standard home thermostat to an electric portable house heater?

kuurt

Jun 20, 2014
I live with my dad right now and we don't like the same temperature. I get cold at night. I use an electric portable house heater in my bedroom. It does have a thermostat built into it, but it is worthless. They're always worthless because they build them into the heaters so instead of going by the temperature in the room they go by the temperature right there at the heater. I don't know why they would have the thermostats so close to the heat source, it seems stupid to me, but they do. So if the heater has been running the heating element will effect the thermostats reading and give a false reading since the thermostat is right there by the heating element.

So I'm wondering how difficult it would be too add a standard home thermostat to my portable heater so that I can have an external thermostat that I can hang on my bedroom wall farther away from the heater. Is this difficult? If not, could someone explain how to do it.

Would it be as simple as taking the heater apart and finding the thermostat and removing it and then taking the wires that went to that and extend the wires and connect it to the new thermostat?

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
hi Kuurt
1 thing I will say before you even start is NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVEREVER EVER EVER EVEREVER EVER EVER EVER play with mains appliances without knowing what you are doing, include in this statement some experience under a qualified electrician.
having said that http://www.simplyenergystore.com.au/Plug-in-Digital-Thermostat-Heatermate/Heatermate.htm this plugs in and detects the temp and can turn items off if its too hot.and back on when too cold.
no wiring, no mucking around inside an appliance notorious for causing house fires. depending on where you are from there should be one available in your region

kuurt

Jun 20, 2014
For some reason that link didn't work for me, but I did a search for "plug in digital thermostat" and figured out what you were talking about. That is awesome, I didn't know they had those. That should work just fine. Thank you.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Remove the space and the word "this" from the address bar after clicking on the link, then hit the "Enter" key to reload the page with the correct address.

Or, click here.