Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Writing Arduino code

Areeha Durrani

Jul 8, 2015
Am new to the microcontrollers,just starting arduino on self basis.I have installed the arduino IDE and em done with all the process but em unable to write anything on the IDE,even after connecting the arduino board to it.Should we connect the DC supply while writing the code?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Am new to the microcontrollers,just starting arduino on self basis.I have installed the arduino IDE and em done with all the process but em unable to write anything on the IDE,even after connecting the arduino board to it.Should we connect the DC supply while writing the code?
Please confirm the Arduino product you have... many can be powered from the usb port so you don't need an external supply.

Please also confirm the OS you are using.

Are you unable to 'write' in the IDE... or unable to send your program to the Arduino, there is a difference.

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
If it is a standard Uno, the popular choice for beginners, or the MEGA, another popular choice, then the power is provided through the USB connection. Ensure that you are using the correct COM port and that you have the official Arduino download. There is also a chance that if you bought a cheap non-official knock-off, that the board is faulty.

I hope this helps,

Areeha Durrani

Jul 8, 2015
I have arduino uno and the OS is windows...yes I downloaded the IDE from the official site..

Areeha Durrani

Jul 8, 2015
Em unable to 'write' anything on the IDE...whenever I press any key,it just makes a sound but doesn't write anything...I made sure of the COM port as well

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Em unable to 'write' anything on the IDE...whenever I press any key,it just makes a sound but doesn't write anything...I made sure of the COM port as well
Ahh.. that makes a difference...
I've never actually run into that problem, but it sounds as though there is a pop-up that may be misbehaving, or perhaps you have not yet clicked 'new' to start a blank project.
I would encourage you to try to go to File > Open and try to open an existing sample project. If you still cannot type, we will need to do some more experiments as it sounds like a software issue you may have.

Areeha Durrani

Jul 8, 2015
I just tried to open the examples saved in it,like blink and fade...they do work when I attach the led at the desired pin,but again em unable to write/edit it...
I just encountered that in the message box it says,Text Component read only

Areeha Durrani

Jul 8, 2015
I tried the examples stored in it like blink that works perfectly when attached to the LED...but again can't write/edit it...
I just encountered that in the message box,it says:at Java.awt.EventdispatchedThread.run And text component read only

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I tried the examples stored in it like blink that works perfectly when attached to the LED...but again can't write/edit it...
I just encountered that in the message box,it says:at Java.awt.EventdispatchedThread.run And text component read only
hrm... try to use 'save as' to save a copy somewhere them try to edit the copy..
You can also try an older version of the IDE.. perhaps there is a bug with this one?

What version do you have?

Areeha Durrani

Jul 8, 2015
Arduino 1.6.2
But I guess there is some issue with my Java program on my computer...do you think it can affect this issue??

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Arduino 1.6.2
But I guess there is some issue with my Java program on my computer...do you think it can affect this issue??
That could very well be it, but I didn't want to start looking to that unless an older IDE release failed as well.