Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Xbox One Motherboard New and DOA

slingblade01

Jun 26, 2018
Hello,

For a summer learning project, I want to try to revive an Xbox motherboard. This Xbox has never worked since day 1. It was purchased brand new (and replaced with a working one).

I know the PSU is working, I tested it with the work Xbox and tried the working xbox's PSU with the DOA one.

I have tried all of Microsoft's tricks to no avail.

When I attempt to start the console, the APU fan turns about a half turn.
Also, I am getting a constant 5v @ .46A from all 3 USB ports.

I have pulled the board from the console.
I looked over all of the capacitors for deformed tops. Nothing.
I tested the (7) 470 μF caps near the power connector using an ohm meter. All are in parallel. All are discharging at about 6kΩ.
One of the caps, 470μF, has a manufacturing defect but reads fine.
The PSU out is [email protected] and 5v@1A.

I have a variable temp soldering iron and a heat gun. I know that I am now dangerous...to electronics.

I am at the end of my knowledge of troubleshooting and am ready to learn.
Attached is a pic to the caps near the power connector.

hbWnX8

hbWnX8

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hello,

For a summer learning project, I want to try to revive an Xbox motherboard. This Xbox has never worked since day 1. It was purchased brand new (and replaced with a working one).

hi there
welcome to EP :)

ummm your pix didn't load

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The XBox is a 'PC' by another name and fault location follows the same basic methods therein.

ISTR that a lot of issues were around the BGA mounting of the main processor. 'Some' people had success in re-working the connections by reheating the area under the device to reflow the solder but I take that with a (large) pinch of salt as a reliable method!

If you can't localise the fault using standard PC-type repair methods (checking the RAM, the video, the BIOS settings etc) and are reduced to attempting the reworking procedure then the best you can do is mess around with fingers crossed!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Is that a damaged capacitor?

View attachment 41738

yes but the dint/slice doesn't appear to be penetrating the case … I would not have expected that to cause its failure

I tested each of the 7 (470μF) caps using an ohm meter.
They each charged slowly to about 6.04kΩ and then discharged.
Is this a sufficient enough test?

that's really a very poor test
caps need to be removed and tested with a capacitance meter.
Like a lot of components, when tested in circuit, all the surrounding components connected to the one you are testing
will affect the reading you get

Again, as I said …. for capacitors, the only true test is with a capacitance meter …. anything else is a waste of time

The PSU out is [email protected] and 5v@1A.

those are it's ratings

have you actually made measurements to make sure the voltages are correct ?

Dave

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Have you searched Google for any tips'n'hints for fault finding that board? You don't specify which model it is either.....

Google results should give some indication of what the symptoms point to in regard to the fault. If it is main processor related then you're not going to get very far.

Otherwise, first thing would be to disconnect any offboard devices and see if it boots (fan runs) to discount external influences. Then check the BIOS (not sure if there is a facility to re-install/upgrade the BIOS???).

The likes of RAM, Video etc are all on board so can't be disconnected thereby making checking those parts rather more difficult.... but, like mentioned, it's most likely to be the processor.

Is it socketed? Is the heatsink properly secured? Are all connections secure?

Some more pics of the whole board and close-ups of the various important sections of it may help us.

slingblade01

Jun 26, 2018
I have not measured the PSU's 12v supply yet .

However, I did swap PSUs with a working system as started above. The working system booted fine with this PSU and the faulty system did not boot with good PSU. I'll measure voltage tonight to double check .

Another question posted earlier .This is an Xbox ONE ,first generation, not a 360, not an S, and not an X .

Attached is a pic of the board .
IMG_20180627_200218.jpg

Xboxdad

Nov 29, 2018
Did you have any luck yet?
My board is having similar issues.
I'd like to compare component readings with you and see if we can solve each others issues.

Xboxdad

Nov 29, 2018
My revision F board
On right hands side, where red caps are, there are mosfets. These steps usually cited as the cause of power issues. I have a 5th row where you only have 4.
It's my topmost row that is measuring different from the other 4.