Maker Pro
Maker Pro

xmas present: blinking ring

Sophia Lorenzo

Nov 17, 2016
Eventhough, I havent made it until christmas, I am progressing with my project with help from a sorts of people, including members of this forum. Awesome! The ring is blinking. I like to add a little sound as well before I start on working on the outer design.
The idea is to have a brief sound signal emit while the LED is blinking. It can be a simple noice like an alarm clock kind of noise. It should measure smaller than 1cm in any direction and run with a button battery. I was thinking about a Piezo cristall but cannot find one. Does anyone have an idea what to use best?

Thank you so much!
Sophia

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Look for 'piezo buzzer' or recycle the small buzzer from a musical greetings card.

Sophia Lorenzo

Nov 17, 2016
Thanks Harald. I just browsed the web and the piezo buzzers measure well beyond 1cm, unfortunately. Maybe recycle parts out of a wrist watch or mobile? Do you think that might work?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Do you think that might work?
Definitely, if you can lay your hands on some. The tricky part will be the electrical connection as these will not 'buzz' when connected to DC.
You'll have to connect the piezo to the microcontroller - preferably via a driver transistor to protect the microcontroller from any voltages produced by the piezo (they work both ways, when flexed, they will create a voltage). The microcontroller can then create the required frequency in software, toggling the output to make the piezo buzz.
Also attachment of the electrical connection to a pure piezo disc will be not so easy.

Last edited: