Maker Pro
Maker Pro

You would think Boeing would know better

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Is that the one with no hydraulics? I've never go in one of those - a big enough EMP or solar flare and youre dead :p

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
There has to be hydraulics, there's no way they'd rely on servo's and other motors to do the job? ...

if you're right, i'm not going on one.....

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yep, there's hydraulics :)

The major advantages are composite structures and (I think) electrically driven hydraulic pumps rather than bleed air driven pumps.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Well, that is a relief.

But I still wonder about what they have done wrong with the LI Ion batteries. My guess is that it is actaully a software problem. Here is why.

The batteries have a problem if you charge or discharge them too fast. Charging is a no-brainer -- you can limit the charging current easily with hardware.

Discharging, on the other hand can be tricky. Suppose you detect that too much current is being drawn. What do you do? You can't just shut them down if they are needed for hydraulic pumps. So I am guessing that there is complex software to determine what happens in the case of a fault. And complex software has bugs.

Bob

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The great thing about this is that if you're interested you'll eventually be able to read about *exactly* what went wrong.

I'll certainly be on the lookout for the final report(s)