Maker Pro
Maker Pro

My speakers stopped working

Moha-10

Apr 1, 2024
I have Logitech surround sound speakers. They are a bit older Logitech z506. I moved to another country and shipped my stuff in a container, once I connected them they worked for some time (almost 1 weeks) and now when they are connected to the power I only hear a short high pitch noise from the sub, l opened it up and took everything out, the power supply makes the sound but only when connected to the motherboard (I don't know what it's called) I testet all everything on the board that I could and it looks fine but the power supply doesn't make any sound when connected alone so l assumed it comes from the motherboard but I keep getting the feeling it is from the power supply unless there is a short on the motherboard that I can not figure out I hoped that someone with more knowledge can help me with this that's why I came to Reddit. Thank you in advance!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Working on smps require quite a bit of knowledge in that area along with an amount of testing equipment.
You don't say what you have let alone whether you have a circuit diagram or not and whether or not you can read and apply a circuit diagram.
The latter would be essential.

What voltage is the country you came from and what is it where you are now?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The voltage shouldn’t be a concern as SMPS are usually within a wide range between 90V-240V. Unless the system is one voltage only?.
This is more than likely a coincidence and would have failed anyway.
Unless of course, the move and any consequential drops/knocks forced a premature failure.
I would start by replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply as a matter of course and while in there, check the surge/transient devices.
And of course, all solder joints, especially on the heavier devices.

BTW, this is not Reddit ;)
Welcome to Maker.Pro!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
$25 for a replacement...hardly worth the effort of getting out any repair tools.

mineymoe

Nov 14, 2023
Given the age of the speakers, it's quite possible some of the capacitors have gone bad inside the supply after all these years. Unfortunately replacing them can be more trouble than it's worth.

I'd probably just look for a used replacement set locally rather than sinking money/time into repairs.