Maker Pro
Maker Pro

12V Dual intensity LED problem

Racso

Apr 14, 2011
Hi All
I hope someone can help me out here. I am installing Dual intensity LED lights on my wife's motorcycle. When I tested them from a battery they work fine.
Black=Ground
Yellow = Running
Blue = Brake
I hooked up black and yellow and the light came on, I then added blue to positive and light got brighter. Good so far!
When I hooked them up to the bike using the same colour combo I had no lights at all. If I swithced yellow and blue I would get runnung lights but nothing on the brake circut. I put a meter on the bike and found out that the running lights are at 12V (key on,not running) and the brake wire has .1 volt. I think that this .1 volt is screwing things up for me. Is there any way I can remove the .1 volt from the brake wire using a resistor,doide??? anything?
The bike is Fuel Injected so I hope the computer doesn't need that .1 volt to work.

I really don't know anything about electronics and have basic knowledge on wiring 12 Volt systems. If you can help please make the answer as simple as possible.
Thanks Racso

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It sounds to me that your bike may be switching a ground rather than a +12V signal to the brake light.

I wouldn't have thought that overly likely, but I'm no auto-electrician.

jcurrie

Feb 22, 2011
your right Steve all of the modern automotive brake circuits as do most of the other circuits are a groung interupt type .
jim