Maker Pro
Maker Pro

240V ac LED bulb failure

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
LoL. Those Philips bulbs are the gutless flickery buggers I want to replace.
The Median Brand at Aldi are brighter (20-30%), Cheaper ($13) and more consistent brightness/quality in my (somewhat limited) experience. The Philips Bulbs where cheaper at Masters last time I looked.

I don't know what maths they used to get the 2k lumen on the Phillips, but my ones are more like 850-1200 lumen’s in a not very wide focal area. The Median 18w globe claims 1600 lumens and is almost believable. I'd agree with 1400, and they are all exactly the same brightness.

I used to really like Philips stuff, Lately I am getting less impressed.

Its a shame the Aldi ones are so hard to get. They turn up for a day then gone.... Nearly had to fight an old lady last time. She was packing a ton of change in her handbag too! We had a chat, the elderly love them for front door lights and are stockpiling in case they run out in a few years. I tried to tell her she wouldn't be replacing it for years but she wouldn't take a bar of it lol.

Seriously though. When are we going to see LED screw/bayonet globes with fans in them? Or even a decent heatsink... My 14.5w bike light (no fan) is brighter than all the 18W mains bulbs, and its less directional.

Attached is a pic of my latest duct-tape creation. I call it "bikelight on a stick". Its great for filming my youtube videos and 3D printing. I think I might make a more permanent 2 bikelight version with a solid battery case/stand and a bit less duct tape. As its a really handy work light. No extension lead required. Plus I can pull the stick off and look under the car etc...

DSCN4715resized.JPG

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Must be a good batch. I've only bought 2 of them any they are the brightest build I've ever used. No flicker that I've noticed.