Maker Pro
Maker Pro

4 USB Ports Switch For 6 Computers

elikhaim

May 8, 2018
Hi everyone!

I want to build some USB switch with Arduino so I be able to share 4 USB ports with 6 computers, because I want to connect keyboard & mouse & card reader & empty usb port to 6 computers, instead of connecting 4 * 6 devices...
This will work with 6 buttons and transistors (I think something like "NMOS 1000v 3.5a" but if u have suggest for which transistor i need, its will be helpfull too). I will program that with Arduino to read the input and manage the USB data transmission...
So i wondering, if i dicconecting the USB v5+ power cable, the information will be disabled without damage to the PC or i need to manage all the pins? Cause I dont want to pin all the 6*4 cables with the switch...

I would love for an answer or advice for better ideas... Thanks!

P.S. I can't use some existed device because I must to create something without some external hradware id..

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Homework? There is a dedicated forum for help with that.
Switching lines?
Not sure that you will need 1000 volt and 3.Amp to switch the data lines.

elikhaim

May 8, 2018
Homework? There is a dedicated forum for help with that.
Switching lines?
Not sure that you will need 1000 volt and 3.Amp to switch the data lines.

Sorry i just new here.. Where can i post this question?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
his will work with 6 buttons and transistors (I think something like "NMOS 1000v 3.5a"

as suggested, this is an overkill, since you are dealing with around 5V levels and a few 10's of mA

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Not quite clear on your approach.
You plan to swirtch the power lines with the FETs?
You plan to have all the data lines go to the micro and just use the ones for the selected device?
Or do you want to have just one set of data lines and switch them to multiplex them too?
If your question is, whether if you switch the power, whether the devoice on the other end of the line receives data and/or damage, then maybe better to go back to the USB specification.
After all, you are building a USB device.
Whether any one particular device operates, or is damaged might not be a general result. I presume a good design should obey the standard, not subjecting any connected device to non-standard signals nor power.
Sorry, not a USB expert.

Last edited: