Maker Pro
Maker Pro

"Automotive" Electrolytic Capacitors on a PA Power Supply PCB?

eludema

Sep 1, 2018
Hi! Noob here, but eager to learn ... at least enough to not damage too much stuff!

I'm working on learning how to repair my Behringer PA (Eurolive 212D) power supply, and need to replace the caps. All of 'em. I know I need to keep capacitance the same and keep the voltage the same or somewhat higher. Looking through Digikey.com, I'm tempted by the Panasonics... they have the right uf and v, with temperature life-span at 5000 hours at 105C. Sounds great (to a noob!) But its application is listed as "automative" and not "audio"... When it comes to audio gear, do I need 105C all around, or can I get away with some 85C if they're not sitting next to a heat source? Is 1000 or 2000 hours standard, or is my drooling over 5000 hours warranted?

Told you I'm a noob. Thanks for any advice in advance!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Best idea when you are after info is provide as much detail as you can.
You may be able to see what you are referring to but we cannot.
Can you simply provide a link at least?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Use 105oC when specified otherwise 85oC is fine.

Unless specifically used for timing or accurate frequency filtering then (specifically) electrolytic capacitors can be swapped out for the 'nearest standard value' and ALWAYS at a voltage equal-to or higher-than the original specified.

Note that electrolytics have tolerances ranging from -10% to +50% so 'values' can vary enormously.

'Hours' are generally meaningless for most peoples application.

Automotive grade will have a wider tolerance of ambient temperature - not specifically 'operating temperature' (which are two different things).