Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can Batteries Exhibit Resonance at Particular Frequencies?

epsolutions

Sep 7, 2019
For example, if I connect an alkaline D cell across a signal source, could one or more resonant "peaks" be detected upon an oscilloscope?

If so, what would be the best test set up to demonstrate this effect on a fully charged cell?

If such resonance does exist, what is its cause and how might it vary in frequency and intensity between different types and sizes of cells or batteries?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
If such resonance does exist,

EVERYTHING has resonance from you and me to the Earth and everything on it
The resonant frequency is primarily determined by size and density of the object

I have a difficult time trying to understand why you want to know the resonance of a battery ??

epsolutions

Sep 7, 2019
I believe you are referring to eigenfrequency as opposed to electrical resonance.

The latter may have implications with regard to battery charging efficiency?

epsolutions

Sep 7, 2019
If there was any experimentally determined advantage of a particular frequency, in terms of electro-chemical response or other phenomena, pulsed DC could be applied.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
So you are asking about benefits of pulsed DC charging?
Is this related to a resonance in the battery?
Sorry, can't really see where the resonance comes in.
At what sort of Q-factor do we consider it a resonance worth thinking about?

epsolutions

Sep 7, 2019
By "resonance" I meant that the particular cell or battery might have some detectable non-linear response to the frequency of the pulsed DC. This might then be used to optimize the charging process. I guess it's a bench project then.