Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cardmatic Tube Tester questions

Rossputin

Jun 16, 2024
Hello all,

I saw a closed thread that seems close to what I'm struggling with but I hope someone can help me.

I just bought a Hickok/Western Electric KS-15874-L2 Cardmatic Tube Tester. I'd seen one once before, never owned one, never used one. This thing looks basically perfect.

I know the meter works because when I hope the little hatch and try a couple of those buttons, the needle moves.

But when I try the basic calibration with the calibration cell, it doesn't move (well, maybe a tiny amount) and when I try testing a tube (12AX7), the tube seems to get slightly warm and maybe there's a bit of a glow but nothing like you'd expect in normal tube operation.

I don't know how to tell if the cell is still good.

The prior thread makes me think that maybe the card reader isn't working right. It wouldn't surprise me if this hasn't been used at all in many years given how it looks cosmetically almost unused.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Oh, I also note that one or two of the pins seems barely to be making contact with anything when I insert the 12AX7. I wonder if I should try to access the bottom of the sockets and tighten those a bit...but still I don't know if that's really the problem. (I haven't yet tried another tube in another socket since I figured there was some other problem when the meter didn't move with the first calibration test, but maybe that's the cell being bad? Should the meter not move at all if the cell is bad?)

Again, grateful for any guidance for this rookie. This machine is one of the coolest pieces of old-school electronics I've ever seen!

Best,
Ross in Denver

Rossputin

Jun 16, 2024
Yes, I have the manual. What I'm saying is that when I do the calibration procedure, starting with Card 1 to test the meter, the meter doesn't move at all when it should go to about 50. And when I try to test a tube the meter doesn't move at all and it seems that the tube barely warms up (and doesn't feel "snugly" inserted...it's rather loose). The tube and the calibration cell use different sockets.

So I could have different problems, like a cell that doesn't work anymore (but I don't know if they go bad) and a socket where the parts that grasp the tube pins need to be tightened. Or I could have a problem where something else isn't functioning properly leading to tests not working. Or even a combination.

This is what I'm trying to get advice about!

Rossputin

Jun 16, 2024
I think Henry Kolesnik had almost the same problem but some of the complexity of the described solution remains (just barely, I think) over my head. Henry, are you still out there and is there a way to be in touch such that you might be able to post/send pictures of your repair/adjustment of the switches?