Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Circuit to make Car Head Lamp Brighter?

abuhafss

Aug 3, 2010
The other day one of my friend informed me that he got a small device installed in his car to increase the brightness of the head lamps.

I haven't seen the device yet but am just curious, could it be possible when the lamps have fixed wattage and supply voltage is almost fixed? I have googled the net but could only find some tips on wiring improvement.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
The other day one of my friend informed me that he got a small device installed in his car to increase the brightness of the head lamps.

I haven't seen the device yet but am just curious, could it be possible when the lamps have fixed wattage and supply voltage is almost fixed? I have googled the net but could only find some tips on wiring improvement.
I'm betting it's one of three things:
- Modification of the day time running light circuit which usually runs both headlamps in series.
- Step-up voltage converter.
- Headlight fluid.

I'm curious as well. The only reliable way I am aware of is replacing the bulbs. That said, I'm against brighter headlights for almost all applications because it only makes the other drivers buy brighter lights which snowballs to people incorrectly installing HID lights in the vehicle which end up seriously messing with everyone's night vision. It's not safe when you cannot see the road past an oncoming vehicle because their lights are too bright.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Probably just wired the headlights through a relay.
Headlights will be brighter because they will be running at full battery voltage, not a reduced voltage through the car wiring.

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
"small device installed in his car to increase the brightness of the head lamps. "
You need to find out the cost of the device and a link on the web to identify the item.

abuhafss

Aug 3, 2010
Probably just wired the headlights through a relay.
Headlights will be brighter because they will be running at full battery voltage, not a reduced voltage through the car wiring.
Yes Kiwi, I checked the device, in fact, devices.............they are 2 relays, one for low beam and the other for high.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Yes Kiwi, I checked the device, in fact, devices.............they are 2 relays, one for low beam and the other for high.
I can't see this making much of a difference... but I can see it making a slight difference.

abuhafss

Aug 3, 2010
I can't see this making much of a difference... but I can see it making a slight difference.
It makes enough difference to satisfy the car owner :).
If shortest possible wiring is used it will surely make difference.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
There is usually an increase in headlight brightness when relays are fitted. Some cars will have a marked increase, while others will have a smaller increase. Depends on the car's wiring system, and the condition of the wiring.

Fitting relays is the first step to take when trying to improve the headlights.