Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Converting decimal LAT/LON to NMEA format

camerart

Aug 18, 2010
Hi,

I need a program in preferably 'Oshonsoft PIC basic' or 'Excel' or another basic program, that will convert a decimal LAT/LON from 'say' Google maps to the NMEA format.

E,g, ?????.?????
?????.?????

$GPGGA,123456,?????.?????,N,?????.?????,W,1,04,1.80,100.0,M,47.7,M,,*7F?

I'm happy to cut and paste the result into the NMEA sentence.

Is there anyone who can help please?

Camerart.

Amar Dhore

Dec 2, 2015
lol. Cut and paste. You can connect PICs UART to a gps module and keep collecting ASCII buffers on RX line and convert it to decimal LAT/LON. Look into microchip MLA, you might find some examples.

camerart

Aug 18, 2010
lol. Cut and paste. You can connect PICs UART to a gps module and keep collecting ASCII buffers on RX line and convert it to decimal LAT/LON. Look into microchip MLA, you might find some examples.

Hi A,

You may have got the wrong idea! I need to 'make' some test NMEA sentences, from map references. When I say Cut and paste, I mean find result needed for NMEA from a calculation,and cut and paste it into the NMEA relevant slot.

C.

camerart

Aug 18, 2010
@camerart sorry I did not mean to laugh at you. I dont know what I was thinking.

Try this link and hope it is helpful.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-maps-api/xvDGvIidKQc

Hi A,
Not to worry, it happens all of the time:)

I scanned your link and I think it shows variations of looking up using google, but I wanted an equation. Whether on your link or another I found an equation written in 'C', which mentions FLOOR, that I had never heard of and I can't read 'C'. Then I was experimenting in excel and came across FLOOR in the maths functions. I got the equation working and here it is: Change .txt to xls

C.

Attachments

• Decimal degrees to NMEA DEG MIN DECIMAL.txt
    17 KB · Views: 85