Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Creating a 7.5 volt DC battery to power my tube tester

Jeffhuey1n

Jan 8, 2024
When it comes to electronics, I’m the guy that sticks the paper clip in to the plug in just to see what happens. I found out and have a neat little paper clip scar for my trouble.
I’ve got an Accurate Instruments model 161 tester. It’s complete except for the 7.5 volt battery. I have an untested power supply that’s about 60+/- years old. I’m pretty sure I can get that to work but I am no electrician. I’m a helicopter mechanic by trade. Electrical stuff is fixed by the brainy guys. I swing hammers, turn wrenches and ratchet my way to a perfect flying machine. There are batteries that can work but will they work on a very old and low tech tube tester? Or, do I need to create one from AA or AAA batteries?
I appreciate any help that will help me out.
Ultimately, I’m going to get an old FM radio running that’s all tubes and dials.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Do you know the load on the 7.5V supply? Batteries could easily handle it if it was for intermittent operation at under 1A. Series connected D-cells (5 off @1.5V) would do it. Get the right chemistry cells though.

A more modern approach would be to use a lithium cell(s) with suitable boost or buck converter but then you'd have to go to the expense of getting (or building) a lithium charger.

Having said all that and then searching for that device on t'internet I found a forum that doesn't speak too highly of that instrument - see post #3 on this link https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91152

Jeffhuey1n

Jan 8, 2024
Do you know the load on the 7.5V supply? Batteries could easily handle it if it was for intermittent operation at under 1A. Series connected D-cells (5 off @1.5V) would do it. Get the right chemistry cells though.

A more modern approach would be to use a lithium cell(s) with suitable boost or buck converter but then you'd have to go to the expense of getting (or building) a lithium charger.

Having said all that and then searching for that device on t'internet I found a forum that doesn't speak too highly of that instrument - see post #3 on this link https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91152
Thank you for the advice, I will look into the Li cell(s).
I’ve seen lots of reviews on this model. Not sure which to believe. Since I have it, I’ll get it functional and see how it looks from my perspective.
Again, thanks!