Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Digital to Analogue

mickey65

Jan 25, 2020
Hi, everyone. I just need some advice about finding something that will enable me to convert a digital signal to a Analogue signal. I have a 1970s analogue black and white tv and I have been trying to find out if I can actually get some kind of converter to do this as I am turning my kitchen back to a 1970s kitchen. thanks for reading guys.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to EP.
Converting a digital signal to an analog signal is basically not very difficult. The problems lie ín the details. In your case a simple Digital-Analog converter will not suffice. You'll have to recreate an analog TV or video signal from a digital video source.
I suggest you buy an off the shelf video converter. Here is an example of a box that converts HDMI signals to analog composite video signals.

mickey65

Jan 25, 2020
Welcome to EP.
Converting a digital signal to an analog signal is basically not very difficult. The problems lie ín the details. In your case a simple Digital-Analog converter will not suffice. You'll have to recreate an analog TV or video signal from a digital video source.
I suggest you buy an off the shelf video converter. Here is an example of a box that converts HDMI signals to analog composite video signals.
Thank you for your speedy reply. Im happy to know that a will at some point have my 1970s tv up and running. Could you tell me i had a look at the video converters but im not sure how i will connect this box to the 1970s tv would i have to go via another device. Best regards.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
im not sure how i will connect this box to the 1970s tv
If your TV has a composite input (cinch sockets or a scart connector, that's the way to go. If not, you will need an RF modulator to connect the signal into the antenna socket. It is imho quite unlikely that you will find a direct HDMI to RF converter, so you'll most likely have to cascade two devices: HDMI -> RGB or composite -> RF (antenna input).
Correction: HDMI to Coax modulators are available but very (not to say insanely) pricey.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
It might have helped if you told us your location and what your digital source was.

You might also want to consider whether this is worthy of the time and cost when a '70s TV may not have much life left in it. A better long term goal might be taking the chassis and shoehorning an LCD panel into it instead of the tube, if it has the ability to turn the color all the way down to 0 so it is black and white. Then you wouldn't need a DAC.