Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Free MIT course on Circuits and Electronics

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Having been here for a few months I have seen other folks join with interest in electronics, but with limited or no background. I wanted to share this link with you and for anyone else who is interested. It is a course as described in the title of this thread by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, a highly regarded U.S. university. https://www.edx.org/course/mitx/mitx-6-002x-circuits-electronics-2606#.U9hriPldV8E
https://www.edx.org/course/mitx/mitx-6-002x-circuits-electronics-2606#.U9hriPldV8E
The text is available free online. It's not downloadable to my knowledge, but accessible from your browser. I'm not through chapter one yet, but I can honestly say its enjoyable. The lumped circuit abstraction and lumped matter discipline are very interesting theories. I really enjoyed reading about them and how they were tested when the design of cpu's reached a certain level (won't go further into that, no spoilers!).

If anyone else joins, do comment here and perhaps we can create a group.

Thanks!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, I did that course when it was essentially the beta for EDx. It's really interesting and well worth the effort.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
And I bet you got 100% :)

I'm not going to tell you my score because it's not important. I might have got 100% and learned nothing or 61% and learned huge amounts. The reason you do these things is to learn.

Try it yourself and see what you get. The very last question of the final exam was set to really challenge people (yeah, they got harder and harder, but the last one was a doozey).

My advice for anyone doing this course is to work through the questions using the methods they have given you, even if you already know shortcuts for (say) resistors in parallel. In my case the final question in the final exam was proof for me that I had taken at least one shortcut too many.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
I have signed up but it does not start until 24th August. Lets see how academically crap I am :)
Adam

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
No probs mate :) I'll just ask Steve on the quite LOL. I meant quiet duh, that's dyslexia for yah

Last edited: