Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help To Determine Resistor To Dim Incandescent Light Bulbs

kapnKronik

Oct 26, 2017
Hi, I have recently installed new aftermarket gauges in my vehicle's dash, and they are too bright compared to my other older gauges. I would like to dim them to approximately 50% or 33% of their full brightness to match the others. I figured I could do this with a resistor in series for each bulb, but am unsure what resistor to use.

Each bulb is wired in parallel, 12V, and 3.4W each. They are incandescent bulbs. How would I go about calculating how much resistance needs to be added? What resistors could be used for 50% brightness, and for 33% brightness?

Or, is there a better method to dim these bulbs?

Any suggestions appreciated!

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

A good way to dim lamps is PWM.
Have a look at this thead on All About Circuits:

Bertus

crutschow

May 7, 2021
It's difficult to know how much you need to reduce the bulb voltage to get the desired brightness.
A PWM circuit with a trimpot adjustable duty-cycle, such as bertus suggested, would allow you to easily adjust them to the desired intensity.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
If you want to buy rather than build, my first stop is ebay.

ak

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
will those LED ones work on incandescent bulbs ?

Don't see why not. Two say LED because that's what most people are searching for. One says motor because that is another popular product. To be clear, I do not have any experience with any of these specific products. But a simple PWM circuit with a big enough power transistor should have no problem driving dashboard light bulbs of any flavor. I think they will work at least as well as the circuit suggestion.

At $1.65 (US), it is a cheap experiment.

ak

ivak245

Jun 11, 2021
The first one shown will work fine, and you can hook it up on the bench with a taillight globe or similar and try it out. Mount the whole board under the dash where you can still get the control knob.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Or, is there a better method to dim these bulbs?
You might also consider an adjustable buck converter.(around [imath]3-[/imath]4.00 dollars)
Set output voltage to whatever brightness on the lamps and go from there.
One shown will handle 3A.

You said what the wattage of each lamp is BUT....not how MANY....:rolleyes:

Attachments

• lm2596-4.jpg
    lm2596-4.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0