Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Honeywell Vista 20p Motion Sensors

Mike Rowland

Jan 26, 2016
I replaced the Honeywell control board from an older Brinks security system and am trying to use the existing motion sensors without any luck. If I define the motion sensor as a Zone Type 1 (Entry/Exit), the motion sensor respond as expected and sound the alarm after the previously defined delay, but it I define the Zone Type as 4 or 10, which I'm assuming a motion sensor should be, the alarm doesn't sound after sensing movement and after the predefined delay. I can see that the motion sensor is picking up the movement as the LED lights when the zone is defined as 4 or 10. Can someone tell me what I'm missing? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there
.welcome

you have given no info on the alarm panel ... do you have an installation manual for it ?
sound like there is no problem with the sensors but rather a setting on the board that determines whether the zone is instant or delayed activation

Mike Rowland

Jan 26, 2016
davenn - Thanks for the feedback and making me think (and look) a little deeper.

I'm using a 616 Custom Alpha Keypad and "yes" I have a copy of the manual; it would be tough to program the board without the book. You are correct as there is an entry delay that can be programmed but the maximum delay time is 240 seconds (*35 - Entry Delay 99 = 240 seconds). I didn't specifically define the entry delay and let it default, I'll check it next time I'm at the location, something to look at. Thanks.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
The 6160 or 6164 Custom Alpha keypad is the Keypad, not the control panel. The control panel lives in the metal cabinet.
Whichever it is--I'd like to know out of curiosity--but all contemporary Honeywell/Ademco panels behave the same on this protocol:

The usual cause for your symptom is that you tested the PIRs by arming in "Away" but didn't open an entry/exit door. If you don't open and close an E/E door within the Exit Delay period, the system defaults to "Stay" Arming because you haven't left, and it ignores any interior sensors. It's designed to behave that way because it prevents a lot of false alarms.

Try your test again by arming in "Away" and open & close an E/E door and see it that solves the mystery.

Mike Rowland

Jan 26, 2016
ChosunOne -
Thanks for the advice and the feedback, what your saying makes sense and I'll give it a shot when I'm there later today. I knew it had to be something I was unaware of or was overlooking but I never would have guessed that was the issue.
The only items in the metal cabinet are the Honeywell Vista 20P circuit board that I replaced and the back up battery, there isn't any other control panel. All programming and control is through the 6160 keypad.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Yes, the Vista-20P is what we in the alarm industry call the Control Panel. It operates a little differently from a Honeywell Vista-20SE, or a Vista-20. It's a lot different from a 4120, 4120XM, 4120XMPT and 4120XMPT-2; as well as the 4110, 4110DL, 4110XM, 4130 & 4130XM, 4140, 4140XM, 4140XMPT, Vista-10, Vista-10SE, & Vista-10P; Vista-15, 15SE or 15P; and the Vista-40, Vista-40SE, Vista-40P; the Vista-32, the Vista 50, and the Vista 128 series. All those are Vista-series control panels, available online, and compatible with the 6160 Keypad, so knowing the keypad doesn't tell me the control panel model (unlike some manufacturers who don't make different panels & keypads cross-back-and forward compatible).

I missed a few models, but you get the idea. The Vista-20P is the most popular home model at present, but not knowing what you used or how you got it, I can't assume you didn't buy an older model off eBay. Lots of DIYers do, and more power to 'em when they make it work. I'm a great believer in recycling electronic equipment.

Mike Rowland

Jan 26, 2016
ChosunOne - Triggering the E/E after setting the "away" was the answer! I could have looked at the manual for days and never read that piece of information. Thanks for the excellent advice; you nailed it!

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Good, glad I was able to help. It's a common question on DIY forums--that protocol has become a standard in the alarm industry now, and it's not intuitive for the new user. The Installation manuals don't stress things like that because Vista panels are professional-grade alarm equipment intended for experienced installers, not DIYers.