Maker Pro
Maker Pro

INA219 battery voltage reading error

zazas321

Oct 1, 2018
Hello guys. Have anyone got some experience with INA219 voltage and current sensor?I have bought an adafruit prebuilt module and I am getting a voltage error and I am not sure where it is coming from! I have a circuit ( see picture) and I am trying to measure my supply voltage and current. I was using 10V supply but on serial monitor and display I only get about 9.4-9.5V reading. According to the datasheet, INA219 measures the voltage across Vin- to GND. I have measured that voltage with multi meter and I got 9.9 ( which is close enough for me to 10). So if it measures Vin- as it states why the serial monitor reading and LCD display only displays 9.5?

I have also tried using 5V supply and simplified version of the circuit and the reading i get is 4.9 with 40mA current load, as the load current increases, the error increases as well

I have recently bough a 9V alkaline battery to do some testing again and I got the same results:
Battery voltage when no load connected 8.8V
Battery voltage when load is connected 8V
measured voltage across Vin- and GND = 7.95V
Displayed value - 7.5V

Attachments

• second circuit.jpg
    second circuit.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 4
  • second measurements.jpg
    second measurements.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 2
  • second supply.jpg
    second supply.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 2

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
There is a calibration register in the device. Have you checked out the datasheet to see what facilities there are for calibration?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
PGA?? Did you read the datasheet?

Another possibility is that there is a dry solder joint somewhere adding additional resistance where it isn't needed.