Maker Pro
Maker Pro

incorrect load on soldering iron transformer?

Madsalts

Sep 25, 2014
I have read a fair amount about vacuum tube amplifiers. One thing that is of importance in such devices is having a proper load hooked to the transformer. If the impedance is wrong, there is no speaker hooked up, etc., the transformer can be seriously damaged. Which makes me wonder about my soldering iron. I have a Hakko 888 Iron which I love. There are off-brand replacement irons, such as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/936B-Solder...226831?hash=item419296be0f:g:5HoAAOSweW5VB8qd that cost far less than the hakko iron. If I were to use such an iron, would I risk damaging my transformer? Thanks.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Impedance is critical in amplifier circuits but its not as critical in mostly resistive circuits provided you don't overload the transformer by demanding more power than it is rated. If the wattage of the iron (at the same voltage) is equal or less than the original, it should be fine.

Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
It's like a lottery buying "knock offs" from China.
I watched a documentary on Chinese fakes.
Something that costs a small fortune for branded items in one factory is being made un-branded right next door!! Using exactly the same components. A perfect clone without a brand name.

However, next door to them are copying it with inferior parts, usually scavenged from pcb's and/or cheaper components that didn't meet the specs / tolerances required.
These were down right dangerous items with no attempt at safety or earthing .
Some caught fire while the employees were using said item to make another!!

The iphone chargers are renown for this. The new craze for these hover board thingy's....The list is endless.
I have bought many Chinese products from Ebay and only had a few terrible purchases. I just try another supplier. If it's cheap enough, two or three is still a lot cheaper than the original branded item and one or two of them will be perfect.
Like I said, it's a lottery that most people play!

Martin

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
You can buy a temp controlled soldering iron for $12.00 posted. I have used one for 5 years.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Martin makes a great point.
Sure it's great to get items at a fraction of the cost, but the quality is lacking.

The thing that bothers me most is that electrical parts often have fraudulent ul or eu listings. That is the marking that shows the product has been tested as safe by a recognized testing agency.

So you will save a few bucks (quid) but who knows if the darn thing shorts out when you leave the room.