Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LaBelle 202 LA EXPRESS (LED) Sign

GAllen

Oct 12, 2010
Hello,

I have a LaBelle 202 La Express LED scrolling sign with no infrared keyboard or manual in which to program it... The sign works but only displays its demo program. Can anyone help??? Thank you!!!

cj_elec_tech

Oct 7, 2009
I have a couple of these units that I'm trying to get working too.
I'll post any info I discover back here when I get them sorted out, so check back every now and then.
If you come up with any info in the meantime, could you please post it here too?
(that may save me some effort as well! :)

The only info I have at the moment is:
- you must use a power supply that produces > 8 volts AC - a negative voltage is generated to run the RS232 transceivers.
- the unit seems to default to it's RS422 comms mode (at least on my units), but it can be switched to RS232 via a relay (not that I know the code to do that yet....), so I've temporarily bypassed the relay so I can use rs232 - however, you need to be wary doing this as the unit does a serial loop-back test on boot-up and will fail the system if you hardwire the rs232 transceivers the wrong way.

I'll add more when I've done more testing (don't hold your breath though - I'm very busy.... :( )

Nicow

Sep 1, 2011
I have a LaBelle 202 LA EXPRESS model, and i am sure that it was made around 1989. The sign works great. Every time i plug it in, it goes into demo mode. I have no way to program it. I would like to find someone with a IR keyboard that works with this unit because there is nothing to plug into the sign except for power. I am not tech savy, i just want to program the sign for display in our museum.

cj_elec_tech

Oct 7, 2009
There are brand new remote control units available on ebay for about $50 ish (including postage) - this should get your display going.

(I have not had time to work on my displays for over a year! :( )

Last edited:

Ozarkdave

Apr 5, 2013
I have a LaBelle Display (Mod# 104 BUC), that we would like to use for the CofC. It has a earphone jack and maybe an IR for programing. I need a Manual and wire for earphone jack or IR keyboard. It works fine in demonstration mode.

Jrey

Jan 10, 2014
I have a LaBelle 202 LA EXPRESS Sign that does not have a keyboard.Can anyone help me find a remote that I would be able to use to program this sign as it still works well? Thanks!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have a LaBelle 202 LA EXPRESS Sign that does not have a keyboard.Can anyone help me find a remote that I would be able to use to program this sign as it still works well? Thanks!

they were available on eBay a couple of years ago, maybe they still are
do some searching :)

cheers
Dave