Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Looking for compatible DC adapter for old Radio Shack PC-2 Pocket PC, and an AC adapter for the Printer/Cassette interface

cajoeg

Nov 27, 2022
I'm looking for a compatible DC adapter for my old Radio Shack PC-2 Pocket PC, and an AC adapter for the Printer/Cassette interface.

1) The PC-2 manual states that power to the unit is from 4-AA batteries, or a 9V DC adapter. I have no idea how to correctly correlate the power ratings of the 4 AA 1.5v (4 x 1.5V = 6V) batteries to the requirements for the need 9V DC adapter. The units were actually built by Sharp which also marketed the pocket computer as the Sharp PC-1500. I found on a webpage that has the following information for the adapter, although the website appears to be located in the UK:
Power adapter for your PC-1500/CE-150 or IWS adapter
The requirements are :
– 9V
– 110v/220V
– plug dimensions 5.5mm x 2.1mm
– Negative inside, positive outside

Another site has this:
POWER SUPPLY 4 x AA 1.5V batteries, 50 hours run time (0.13W) - 6V DC external AC adaptor EA-150 (Sharp)

I also found a listing for a TRS-80 Pocket Computer PC-2 with the power adapter. I have attached a zoomed in photo of the adapter with power details.
TRS80-PPC-Adapter.jpg

When looking at the Jameco website for an adapter, I have no idea what to look for other than 9V, and I'm not sure if that is even correct.

2) The manual for the Printer/Cassette Interface is of little help, and neither are the lack of markings on the unit. The manual states that power is from the rechargeable Ni-CD battery pack, and that the power consumption of the unit is 5.2W (DC).

From what I've been able to see, the required adapter may also be the Sharp EA-150. I did find a listing on ebay Australia for the printer/cassette interface with a power supply with photos, but I can't clearly see the markings on the power adapter to make sure it's the same ratings, but the model is the EA-150 of which I thinks several types were made based on which country it was sold in. I emailed the seller and asked if he could tell me what the ratings and polarity are on the adapter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Buy a cheap universal adapter which probably has 3V, 6V, 9V and 12V @ 1A or more. You can also change the polarity on most of them. Some come with a selection of different connectors.

Martin

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The Sharp EA-150 power supply is rated 500 mA (link). Any 9 V power supply that is rated 500 mA or more should be suitable.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I would bet that you already have a spare adapter laying around somewhere.
An old router, old game etc.
Don’t get confused with mA or A. As suggested above, any 9V adapter (wall wart) will do as long as it’s above or more than 500mA (.5A). Normally the centre is positive BUT check first as some are not.
This is easily remedied by cutting the wires and swapping them or getting a universal adapter like above but one that can change polarity via a switch or simply swapping pins on the connector like below…
1675153318620.jpeg

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Can’t edit my post.
The required polarity is centre negative and outer positive.

Martin