Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Magnifier Glasses and Lamps , I can't see or solder fine pitch from my desk why?

danny davis

May 9, 2012
Does any company make Magnifier Glasses to wear on your face or a Magnifier lamp to solder fine pitch components?

Because The 5X bench magnifier lamps are blurry unless you move them way down to the PCB and then you can't put the soldering iron on the broad because the magnifier lamp is on it to see clear plus I'm hunch over the working bench trying to solder SMT, fine pitch components

I can't see SMT components or solder fine pitch components from my desk

The Magnifier Head Glasses are like reading glasses, they are blurry

I'm trying to solder fine pitch or SMT components without hunch over my desk

Which Magnifier lamp or glasses is there so you can solder fine pitch or SMT components

Using Reading glasses 5x, you have to have the PCB up to your eyes when soldering

I tried the desk Magnifier lamps and they are the same, you have to have the PCB board very close to the magnifier lamp to not make it blurry

I need something that is "Farsighted magnification"

I don't need reading glasses that are 5x , I need :"Farsighted" Magnifier Glasses or Lamp for fine pitch

But Who makes these please?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
All lenses have a focal length, find one with a length appropriate for your working distance... Yes, they are out there, but I can't recommend any off hand...

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
If you have a good video camera w/ macro, zoom lens might be helpful. Of course you need a tripod.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
If you have a good video camera w/ macro, zoom lens might be helpful. Of course you need a tripod.

Even a cheap webcam hooked to a computer monitor can produce surprisingly good images on the cheap... You see these cheap webcam zooms on many low end pick an place machines, they work quite well... But again you need one with the correct focal length or an adjustable focal length lens...

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
When I got old, and couldn't see the small stuff anymore, I got me an 'OptiVISOR'.
It's worn on your head, the lenses flip up when not in use, and down when you need
them. There are a wide variety of interchangeable lenses to choose from, and an
attachable loupe if you need it.
It goes where you look, you don't have to keep moving a lamp/magnifier around, and
I haven't found anything better.

danny davis

May 9, 2012
OptiVISOR does it have farsighted lens?

Does the OptiVISOR let you solder with a large distance from you sitting to where the component or PCB is?

Because I have tried those magnifier head glasses and they are blurry unless you hunch over or put the PCB or component very close to your face

All lenses have a focal length, find one with a length appropriate for your working distance

What Focal length do i need from my working distance to the PCB board or component to solder for fine pitch or SMT?

Because the glasses i have tried are reading glasses and those magnified bench desk lamps 5x but they are blurry unless u have the component very close to your face

I need something that has Farsighted lens for soldering fine pitch or SMT parts

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You would probably need something like this.

5002351-serious-surgeon-in-scrubs-and-magnifying-microsurgery-glasses.jpg

To provide magnification AND a good working distance requires more than a simplelens.

Eeek! that image is *huge*

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
What Focal length do i need from my working distance to the PCB board or component to solder for fine pitch or SMT?

I don't know, I'm not you and I don't know your work station or anything about your eyes...

Sit at your station, put a PC board board where you like to work and measure the distance from your eyes to the PC board... That is the prime focal length you will want, if your are going with glasses... If you are using a stand along magnifier glass on a stand, you will need to factor it's distance from the part and your eyes...

There is simply no one answer, that is why many lenses like those on cameras, microscopes, telescopes and binoculars have adjustable focus and are designed for different focal distances...

One thing that I do notice is that none of the cheap lenses will every indicated the focal range or offer any adjustments, most say "move the part closer or further away until in focus" not really helpful, just stupid...

Although if you look at some of the higher end OptiVISOR like items as suggested

http://www.doneganoptical.com/optivisor.php

You will see they specify the focal range for the each type of lens available something like 3½x @ 4" or 2x @ 10" there you get a magnification and focal distance...

To get the best of the best I would recommend visiting an optician, tell them your problem, give them your optimal focus length, your desired magnification and they can almost certainly have a custom pair of lenses made for you that will fit you and your situation exactly...

Last edited: