Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mech Heads Up Display

Kyle Rule

Sep 14, 2014
Hello,
I'm a mechanical engineer for ITech high school and my team and I are currently working on a Robotic lifting suit and are trying to build a heads up display that fits into the helmet. We unfortunately haven't been able to find any help on the subject but are still looking for some answers. If anyone knows anything about how we could make one please comment or send me a PM it would greatly help our project not only with functionality but also aesthetics.

[Email removed for your safety:)]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Take a look at DIY google glass or DIY bike HUDs.
I cant give you any more details unfortunately, I have not built one yet ;)

Kyle Rule

Sep 14, 2014
We did look around to see if we could find a decent tutorial but none that go into great detail on how to customize what the HUD projects, our goal is to have it show hydraulic system specs, suit battery life, Communications, targeting and to be able to connect it with our AI who can control the suits hydraulic systems. but thank you for your help anyway.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Kyle, What you want do do different is just going to be some software tweaks. Is that the part your trying to figure out or hardware as well?

B0ilerPlate

Sep 14, 2014
As Gryd3 said above, you'll need some software to do the HUD. As for having it show up ON SCREEN, I have an idea. I had helped a friend of mine build a similar HUD, with no added software, just cameras. He used a Raspberry Pi computer to hook up two cameras to two screens, allowing him to see out of a helmet that would normally make you blind. Could you post a few pictures of this project? It looks interesting :)

B0ilerPlate

Sep 14, 2014
The Raspberry Pi is tiny, so you dont need to worry about size.

Last edited:

Kyle Rule

Sep 14, 2014
I'm not really good at this kind of stuff... machining and building the suit is my job, that's why i'm here asking for help haha.
The MechV is still in its mid-design stages and we wont actually start prototyping until we get some new tools for the shop, we ordered a Lazier CNC and a decent 3D printer, they wont be here till December. I've heard cool things about the raspberry Pi and Arduino I think we can order a few, but our budget is a little tight right now because of those new tools and patenting rights. If you could get a list of what ill need and maybe how to do some of the software stuff I will gladly add your name to the people who helped us.

Kyle Rule

Sep 14, 2014
haha I know that sound all to well, I'm a support class (Catapult). anyway my team and I appreciate your help and hope to get the HUD up and working by February, so we can start on the hydraulic systems/servos, when we finish the designs ill post some on this forum, I'll probably put in some of the lifting arm pictures from our previous model.

B0ilerPlate

Sep 14, 2014
The Raspberry Pi comes standard with its own code, so you should keep that in mind, simply for compatibility. However, the program itself should be made in Java, it's a relatively easy language (as I've heard) and for a simple HUD program, it should be simple enough. What specific things do you want on the HUD?

Kyle Rule

Sep 14, 2014
Mainly hydraulic systems, and active pumps, but i personalty want a lock on, you know how cameras target peoples faces, that but whole body haha. also for communication and our AI

B0ilerPlate

Sep 14, 2014
That just clicked something in my head. Use an Ipad with a custom app. There's plenty of people who make free apps out there. This might be a bit complicated though, I think you should focus on the main design of the suit, not the HUD. Unless of course you've already figured all that out, which in that case I'll have to think a bit more if an Ipad doesn't work...

Kyle Rule

Sep 14, 2014
we have Mk 3 plans ready to go just waiting on parts, apps? hmm might be something to look into