Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mobility scooter

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
So me and my buddy are souping up an old mobility scooter. :cool:
The motor in it is a 24V cm808 027D (not sure of the wattage, couldnt find anything)
The pwm motor controller is a CS 1108S-3
My question is...would upgrading the motor or the controller be the best way to increase speed while maintaining about the same torque.
Ideas? ( Im thinking motor but i could be wrong)

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If you want a short burst of additional power you could apply a higher voltage (say 36V) but only for a limited time and, preferably, monitored closely for temperature with the appropriate thermal cut-out.

If you want a 'proper' increase in torque you need a different motor although 'torque' is also a function of gearing so if you want more torque you can fit a reduction gearbox but get lower speed.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
If the torque stays the same you won't get any speed increase.
Is increased speed legal in your area? In some jurisdictions, scooter speed is restricted.

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
If the torque stays the same you won't get any speed increase.
Is increased speed legal in your area? In some jurisdictions, scooter speed is restricted.
We're kind of in the middle of no where here.
I want more speed. So im wondering if I put a bigger motor on there...if it would increase torque and speed. Or if the better option would be upgrade the controller. I feel like the controller would be the easier option here.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You can't get more power by upgrading the controller - only the motor.

If you want more speed AND torque then a bigger motor is essential.

Is your aim a higher speed or faster acceleration?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
If you increase the motor size it will draw more current, so you may also have to replace the controller (to handle the higher current) and replace the batteries with higher Ah ones (to get the same duration between charges).
Check with your insurer if they would provide cover for a faster scooter.
It's possible (but unlikely) that the existing motor is capable of higher speed but is being limited to a legal maximum by the controller.

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
If you increase the motor size it will draw more current, so you may also have to replace the controller (to handle the higher current) and replace the batteries with higher Ah ones (to get the same duration between charges).
Check with your insurer if they would provide cover for a faster scooter.
It's possible (but unlikely) that the existing motor is capable of higher speed but is being limited to a legal maximum by the controller.
Well its not my scooter. My buddy got it in a will. Not sure why. But thats why i was considering a new controller. Maybe it would "unlock" some previously limited power.
As it is right now, according to the specifications i found, the controller is 110A max. There are 2 12V batteries ran in series and 1 24V motor. I wish i could find the specs on the current motor so i knew what wattage i was looking for to upgrade.

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
You can't get more power by upgrading the controller - only the motor.

If you want more speed AND torque then a bigger motor is essential.

Is your aim a higher speed or faster acceleration?
Higher speed is my overall goal

Terry01

Jul 5, 2017
Eventually!! Something I know a little about! :)

If you want more speed you need more Volts...volts=speed. Most scooters run on 24v and the controller is good for 60-80 Amps....120 Amps is about as big as standard controllers go. Anything more needs other controllers which are readily available but programming them for a scooter is a nightmare! The reason you need so many Amps is when the motors are at stall (going up a kerb) or your going uphill the Amps pull shoots up and it shuts off or limits power to stop it cooking.

I know of one guy who made a 48v system powerchair,it's good for 26mph! :cool:
The guy is a chair genius and it took him a long time to get it going properly. There is a lot to it.

Check YouTube for the 70mph petrol scooter! :eek::oops:

Electric-T

Jun 4, 2017
Eventually!! Something I know a little about! :)

If you want more speed you need more Volts...volts=speed. Most scooters run on 24v and the controller is good for 60-80 Amps....120 Amps is about as big as standard controllers go. Anything more needs other controllers which are readily available but programming them for a scooter is a nightmare! The reason you need so many Amps is when the motors are at stall (going up a kerb) or your going uphill the Amps pull shoots up and it shuts off or limits power to stop it cooking.

I know of one guy who made a 48v system powerchair,it's good for 26mph! :cool:
The guy is a chair genius and it took him a long time to get it going properly. There is a lot to it.

Check YouTube for the 70mph petrol scooter! :eek::oops:
26 mph is a good speed haha
I saw that video. Colin Furze is the best haha