Maker Pro
Maker Pro

My relay is too hot

ape

Jun 2, 2024
Hi,
I want to measure voltage and start the electricity flow at a precise voltage for my gizmo. The relay is drawing full current from 12v battery through gizmo through 87 pin through 30 pin to battery. That part is fine. However 12v battery to 85 and 86 and to battery kind of heats up the place nicely. This is the trigger for the precise voltage. So if I put a resistor in between then the voltage changes? Do not want to blow it up so hence the stupid question. What do I put between the 12v battery and the 85 86 pin so as not to turn it into a hand warmer? Prefer something that does not use up much electricity as the 12v battery is small and I want to use it long time. Could it be that I use the wrong approach and need a mosfet instead of a car relay?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Welcome to Maker Pro! ape! :)

Make,model, of your Gizmo?
Can you take a photo of your setup or perhaps a wiring diagram.
Thank you.

[Mod edited ... remove insulting comments]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
However 12v battery to 85 and 86 and to battery kind of heats up the place nicely.
Shouldn't heat up to any extreme as it is the coil and designed for the job.

Just what is it you want to do in simple terms instead of supplying possible (not plausible) answers.

Show a circuit (block diagram will suffice) of what you want to do,

Below is a basic relay pinout to get you started.
Something you should have posted to save others having to hunt around.
Note that any "gizmo" does not compute with voltage or current requirements in the world of electrical.

Attachments

• autoRelay.jpg
    autoRelay.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 2

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Relays heat up to some extent because of the current flowing through the coil windings.
The amount of heat produced depends on the applied voltage and the coil resistance.
If there is a suppression resistor connected across the coil this will also produce a bit of heat.
Small automotive relays always feel warm to the touch after they have been on for some time.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
Auto relays are generally heavy-duty and efficiency is not a particular concern, so they take enough coil current to make them warm.
If you are concerned about efficiency, then use a more sensitive, small relay, or possibly a MOSFET to switch the power to the Gizmo.