Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Newb Issues.. And Questions.

Tig6061

Jan 8, 2024
IMG_1773.jpegIMG_1774.jpegIMG_1775.jpegHey guys,
I have an issue. My expertise is in welding and fabrication, not electronics, and I have a project where I need to power some UV lights with a battery power supply.
The led strip lights are 24v with 240 diodes per meter I believe, so I matched them with a power brick( Talentcell 24v)
For starters the power supply is massive. And second, the led strip becomes very hot fairly rapidly when powering on.

Any recommendations on a smaller power supply that’s battery rechargeable via usb?
Any of you able to answer as to why these things are getting so hot? Are they being overdriven?

Any thoughts/ suggestions would be appreciated.
Here are the specs and a photo.
One chart should be the LED specs, the other is the Talentcell 24.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
And second, the led strip becomes very hot fairly rapidly when powering on.
They will if you leave them floating around in "free air" (read the instructions always helps) ....best use the "sticky back" that comes with the strip to stick them to a strip of aluminium flat bar.

The power supply you'll have to live with as it appears to be specific for the job. i.e. voltage/current plus any other capability.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
20 watts per meter is 20 watts and you can do nothing about that in terms of heat. Tape it to a surface that can re-radiate the heat if you find it to be excessive.

The power supply is 'massive' because it contains batteries and the longer you want the LED strip to operate the larger the batteries have to be. Typical 18650 rechargables (as may be inside your 'box') are rated at 4V(ish) and 2A each and a stack of them will be used to hold the POWER requirement. 4V and 2A equates to 8 watts so a single battery would run the LEDs for some 20 minutes hence the use of a 'stack' of them in the box.

If you want a smaller box expect the lights to run for a lot shorter length of time.