Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Newbie needs help identifying/naming amber ribbon circuit

MesabiRangeMike

Nov 6, 2023
Doing a tear down of a Dewalt 18V Lithium Ion battery pack with the intention of replacing the batteries. Encountered this amber colored ribbon circuit which is labeled with part # 3081512402. Is there a proper name for this piece? I've tried Googling the part #, found nothing. I'm afraid I might end up melting the thing while desoldering it and would like to order a backup.
Any help naming it and/or tips on removing it without damaging it would be much appreciated

Attachments

• Dewalt ribbon circuit.jpg
    Dewalt ribbon circuit.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 8

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
You will find it will not be available as a "spare part"from Dewalt or anywhere else.............a new battery pack from Dewalt, yes.......
new pack from a clone mob...probably.

As far as potential damage, that depends on your expertise or lack of.......
Only suggestion I have is use a high wattage iron and be real quick desoldering and re-soldering.
These cell will explode with too much external heat applied...........and the fire don't go out when the external heat source is removed either.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Encountered this amber colored ribbon circuit which is labeled with part # 3081512402. Is there a proper name for this piece?
Almost got it. "Flex ribbon power cable" they look to be attached to the battery pack holder, they are offset connections. Your okay on soldering and desoldering those. Those Flex ribbon power cables are proprietary
to DeWalt battery pack..
Any help naming it and/or tips on removing it without damaging it would be much appreciated
There's a reason why they have solder blobs on the solder pad normally that would be unacceptable.
Remove it, with a clean soldering iron tip I would set the temperature at 470 degree Fahrenheit 243 degrees Celsius for a variable temperature
soldering iron some solder wick and or solder sucker. And a pinch of flux.
There are many techniques; this is the first time I ever said this... YouTube have some surprising videos on the very subject concerning flex ribbon power cable.You have to have good aim.
Only hit the solder pads or you will need an
replacement.
For kicks and giggles this is a good read.
Concerning lithium ion cells & battery packs.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
That flex connector doesn't look like its connected to the cells though - the traces are too fine. More likely it is connected to some temperature sensor. Not much likelihood of damaging/exploding the batteries but you still need to be quick about it to avoid damaging the flexi circuit.

MesabiRangeMike

Nov 6, 2023
Almost got it. "Flex ribbon power cable" they look to be attached to the battery pack holder, they are offset connections. Your okay on soldering and desoldering those. Those Flex ribbon power cables are proprietary
to DeWalt battery pack..

There's a reason why they have solder blobs on the solder pad normally that would be unacceptable.
Remove it, with a clean soldering iron tip I would set the temperature at 470 degree Fahrenheit 243 degrees Celsius for a variable temperature
soldering iron some solder wick and or solder sucker. And a pinch of flux.
There are many techniques; this is the first time I ever said this... YouTube have some surprising videos on the very subject concerning flex ribbon power cable.You have to have good aim.
Only hit the solder pads or you will need an
replacement.
For kicks and giggles this is a good read.
Concerning lithium ion cells & battery packs.
Thank you for providing me with the proper name and all the other information as well

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Not much likelihood of damaging/exploding the batteries but you still need to be quick about it to avoid damaging the flexi circuit.
I have to say, but how do you think the Op will reconnect the new cells.......?? Chances are it will be solder joints.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I actually have Seesii mini-spot welder I bought for this project
Bravo! That's the way to go.
There are safety measures or I should say a safety vent on the positive side of lithium ion cells they will melt at a lower temperature than euclidic 60/40 solder.
There is solder wire that will melt at a lower temperature but why bother.
Best case scenario safety vent will overheat. venting electrolytic gases that are toxic to human beings. Worst case scenario: lithium ion cell will be heated beyond its maximum operating temperature inducing thermal runaway this process cannot be stopped.

Last edited: