Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Noisy USB outlet? Request for testing help.

stevef22

May 16, 2023
Hello!

I recently remodeled a home and upgraded to USB style 115v outlet receptacles.

However now I hear a faint high pitched hum in the house. My thoughts are that inferior parts are causing "noisy" outlets.

Also the faceplace color and outlet color was noticeably different, both are labeled as white and they both came in the same package. This is just a visual annoyance and not an issue.

So in the spirit of finding a quality USB outlet. I purchased about 9 samples from Amazon.

I removed the 4 screws from the back of the receptacle to expose the insides. However I have no idea what I'm looking at from there. Some are noticeably more complicated than others.

Anyone here interested in testing these? A simple Google sheet would be helpful in finding the true winner.

The goal is to test basic functionality of the unit. (Rated Voltage, Actual Voltage, EMF Emittance, General Quality Of Parts Used, Functionality with two USB devices plugged in, If device is emitting high pitched noises)

Please let me know if you are interested! I can mail these unit and we can test!

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_2426.jpg
    IMG_2426.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 4

stevef22

May 16, 2023
PS. I love learning so if anyone wants to help teach me how to test these meself, Im open to that!

Thanks very much

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Rated Voltage, Actual Voltage, EMF Emittance,
EMF Emittance? You going to have to wear a tin foil beanie and underpants just to be safe.
So in the spirit of finding a quality USB outlet. I purchased about 9 samples from Amazon.
And what are your findings?
Your best bet is to find the one that doesn't have that 60Hz hum associated with it look for one that does not contain a tiny step down transformer. If you have light dimmers plug in Wi-Fi security that could mix with the 60 HZ and create frequencies that you would notice as high pitch above 10 kilo Hertz coming from your USB device.

stevef22

May 16, 2023
EMF Emittance? You going to have to wear a tin foil beanie and underpants just to be safe.

And what are your findings?
Your best bet is to find the one that doesn't have that 60Hz hum associated with it look for one that does not contain a tiny step down transformer. If you have light dimmers plug in Wi-Fi security that could mix with the 60 HZ and create frequencies that you would notice as high pitch above 10 kilo Hertz coming from your USB device.

For the EMF I just might need a new tin foil hat. That should help out allot. haha.

So far I just got 1 sample of several diffent vendors USB outlets. They all sound quiet when by themselves. I wonder when I install 20-30 of them in entire home if they generate a sum tone that is audable. Do you know of any sound meters that can detect sightly above average human hearing?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
. They all sound quiet when by themselves. I wonder when I install 20-30 of them in entire home if they generate a sum tone that is audable
No. You just proven that! It is a process of elimination, you must move on.
Do you know of any sound meters that can detect sightly above average human hearing?
Mostly all of them have a range of frequencies that they can detect from sub-audible sound waves with a frequency below the lower limit of human audibility generally 20 Hz, as defined by the ANSI/ASA S1.To sound frequencies above 20 kHz that are are called ultrasonic. As we get older our frequency range diminishes but young people have the ability to hear above 20 kHz. Just a little factoid.
What else have you installed that was not there before?
By the way EMF stands for ElectroMotive Force which you might know commonly as Volts or voltage. One must understand the physics behind electronics. Or it can be very confusing.

Last edited: