Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Polarity of Capacitor On Circuit Board Unknown_HELP

Jsprite7660

Oct 31, 2023
Hey All,

A filter box circuit board for my car radio is missing a capacitor and I'm going to replace it but wanted to TRIPLE check that I'm putting it in the correct direction. As I'm typing this, I guess it's pretty self explanatory but I'd like confirmation from ya'll, as I'm a hobbyist.

Attached are two photos, one of the filter box board and the other of the wiring diagram for the radio. The radio is a negatively grounded component and the red wire goes to a 12V switched source. I'm going to place the capacitor's negative lead on the larger circle and the positive lead on the small circle within the circle.

Again, that's probably a no brainer, but since the negative goes to ground and the positive is the 12V power source I wasn't sure if that changed anything.

Again I'm a newbie so go easy on me hah.

Thank you for reading and for your help!

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3058.JPG
    IMG_3058.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3059.JPG
    IMG_3059.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 9

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I'm going to place the capacitor's negative lead on the larger circle and the positive lead on the small circle within the circle.
Sounds a-about to me.

If it goes bang and all unfurls in a cloud of smoke, I'm guessing I was correct.
A photo of the track side would confirm.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Due to its analyzed relative function . . . . . I HIGHLY suspicion that is being /having a solder flowed pads BUT non mounted part that the factory opted to leave out due to an engineering chance.
After you put your ? ufd value of >>> 12 VDC E-cap in there , I fully expect there to be a whopping 1/000th % of an iotas difference . . . . .with it being in circuit then..
With this unit having but a mere 3A current pull and its associated audio power being divided between 4 speakers.
Only if you had a BEHEMOTH 300-500+watts bass amplifier . . . . . .would any "stiffening" . . . . with multi thousands of ufd supply line capacitors come into play, on pulling from their power reserve on HEAVY bass notes.