Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Quality factor of an inductor (Sonnet)

omar32s

Oct 5, 2022
When I create a series (floating) 2-port inductor in sonnet I know it is equivalent to a pi model where we have a series R and series L and shunt components at the 2 ports.

after eming the inductor using sonnet, I knew that inductance 2 represents the series inductance and same for resistance 2 also represents series resistance.

1) I wanted to know what is the quality factor of that (series/floating) inductor, as Q represents quality factor if port 2 is grounded and Q3 represents quality factor for differential inductor, but how to calculate quality factor for the floating inductor ?

2) After I emmed an inductor I found that resistance 2 has negative value at some frequencies is that even possible or did I do something wrong ?
I have added a photo at which resistance 2 has a negative value with frequency, and would it be in that case the quality factor (w*L2/R2) even if R2 has a negative value ? or what should be the quality factor of a 2 port floating inductor ?

Attachments

• inductor.PNG
    inductor.PNG
    7.5 KB · Views: 3
  • pi.PNG
    pi.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Q.PNG
    Q.PNG
    14.9 KB · Views: 3

walishahid333

Nov 1, 2022
The Q factor can be applied to an inductor just as it can to a resonant circuit containing inductance, capacitance and resistance.

An inductor Q is a valuable quantity. Often inductors may be thought of as having a pure inductance, whereas in reality they have some resistance.

This resistance causes energy loss and hence the inductor Q is reduced. In fact the inductor resistance is one of the major performance limiting factors for an inductor.

As a result the level of the inductor Q gives a good indication of the overall performance of the component, and it is a factor that is widely used within RF design.

JayBS

Feb 19, 2023
I think what you're measuring is the shunt capacitance to ground of your inductor. Best measure the Q by connecting it shunt to ground, not floating.