Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RCA 45J Problem

enosehp

Jun 9, 2024
I cannot for the life of me remove the star wheel. which means i cant remove platter and gain access to the idler wheel which has to be my problem because the motor spins fine but platter skips or barely moves. any ideas?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Any photos? Make and model number of the device? I know what you are talking about, but my guess is that half the people on this forum don't.

ak

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
In general Look up inside and you'll see a 4 sided star gear. This gear will rotate with the turntable as it is actually attached to the bottom of it. Thats what engages the record drop. With a sharpie pen, mark the position of the star on the shaft that the star fits on. It has to go back the same way for the record drop to be timed correctly with the rest of the cycle. If you mess up on this part, its a pain to get it back in time. Once you have your mark done, you can remove the star gear. Underneath the gear is also a c-clip you have to remove..
What is this...be nice to old people today!! Who do not contribute.

Last edited:

enosehp

Jun 9, 2024
thank you everyone for uyour replies. ive seen the youtube videos. and ive also read what @Delta Prime wrote. the videos seem to either have an edit during the removal or it was previously removed. I have not tried to remove the c-clip first, it would seem so hard to access and the only video i seen showing the 2 c-clips, they were removed after the star wheel. @AnalogKid it is an rca 45-j. @bertus there are also models j-2 and j-3 which i dont think have star wheel. didnt see it in the video you posted. my phones camera is broken, these are screen shots from youtube. i will try to access the c-clips first i guess, this video removes after
. the record changer is model rp-168 that is part which has star wheel

Attachments

• _screenshot_www.youtube.com.png
    _screenshot_www.youtube.com.png
    778 KB · Views: 4
  • brave_screenshot_www.youtube.com (1).png
    brave_screenshot_www.youtube.com (1).png
    660.2 KB · Views: 4
  • ot_www.youtube.com (2).png
    ot_www.youtube.com (2).png
    626.3 KB · Views: 4
  • brave_screenshot_www.worldradiohistory.com.png
    brave_screenshot_www.worldradiohistory.com.png
    756.8 KB · Views: 2
  • brave_screenshot_www.worldradiohistory.com (1).png
    brave_screenshot_www.worldradiohistory.com (1).png
    894 KB · Views: 3
  • brave_screenshot_www.worldradiohistory.com (2).png
    brave_screenshot_www.worldradiohistory.com (2).png
    937.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

enosehp

Jun 9, 2024
no luck removing c clips first, its impossible for me to access them....has anyone ever used those clock maker gear removal tools? think it might work?

enosehp

Jun 9, 2024
Any photos? Make and model number of the device? I know what you are talking about, but my guess is that half the people on this forum don't.

ak
posted pics and schematics. i feel if i use a nail punch or something it wont fair well. it does hgave small up and down free movement but feels like its locked at some point and wpont pull off. im out of ideas except making a gear/hand puller