Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Recording video, converting and storing to a microSD - Dedicated IC?

esm.

Feb 19, 2012
Hello all.

I starting a new project where I need to record video (and optionally audio) with a small camera (no need of high quality video record), convert the video do a known format, like MPEG, AVI or other who require less disk space (mp4, flv etc). I need to store them to a microSD card, hard disk or other storage device (I think that microSd is the easiest way and more practical). The recorded videos will be watched on a PC when required, by removing the storage from the electronic device and connecting it to a PC.

My doubt is: Which dedicated ICs could be used to to the job of reading the camera frames (and maybe a mic), convert the camera frames to a known format (avi, mpeg etc) and store it as a movie file in the SDcard or hard disk???

An IC triggered by a microcontroler would be great. Or maybe a development board with all necessary components assembled (camera, mic, converter IC, microcontroller, microsd device and others). Somebody know a dev board who do that?

I'm searching for such ICs. I can buy all the necessary components for this project on DIGIKEY (preferentially), because every month I buy some components from them.

Abstract:
CAMERA + MIC (optional) <----> DEDICATED IC??? <----> MICROSD CARD or HARD DISK

Preferentially, the dedicated IC will have IO pins to communicate with a microcontroller and could do the following:
- Interface with a camera and a MIC (optional)
- Convert the camera frames to a know video format (avi, mpeg, etc)
- Store video file in the microSD card or hard disk

The dedicated IC could be also substituted by a video encoder + video compressor, in separeted ICs.
I dont know which resolution will be required, maybe 640x480 or lower. And 5 fps I think is enough (higher fps is better for this project if possible).

Somebody have suggestions of dedicated ICs for this project?
Development boards to do that?
Or maybe some easier methods to implement this project?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi welcome to the forums :)

just wondering why you are trying to reinvent the wheel ?
digital cameras already record to a variety of removeable memory cards

going your route is a pretty complex project, probably well beyond the range of most hobby/semi pro guys you will find on here and other forums

what recording frame rate are you wanting ?
25 - 30 fps is the norm for standard video, maybe you are only wanting 1 frame a sec ?

Dave

esm.

Feb 19, 2012
hi welcome to the forums :)

just wondering why you are trying to reinvent the wheel ?
digital cameras already record to a variety of removeable memory cards

going your route is a pretty complex project, probably well beyond the range of most hobby/semi pro guys you will find on here and other forums

what recording frame rate are you wanting ?
25 - 30 fps is the norm for standard video, maybe you are only wanting 1 frame a sec ?

Dave
Hi.
I need a dedicated design.

Maybe 640x480 or lower resolution. And 5 fps I think is enough (higher fps is better for this project if possible).