Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Remove a component with multiple solders

Gsc1ugs

Jan 24, 2017
What iron or hot air soldering device can i use to melt these at once so i can remove the component?

Gsc1ugs

Jan 24, 2017
[mod edit: uploaded image directly]

Attachments

• FWur_eCX0AAB2Lr.jpg
    FWur_eCX0AAB2Lr.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
If the IC is defect, easiest way is to cut all pins, remove the body, then desolder pin by pin with a standard soldering iron with small tip.
If you need to keep the IC intact, you have several option:
  • special desoldering heads (very expensive)
  • solder wick or desoldering braid to remover as much solder as possible. Work on one side of the IC first. Gently apply upward pressure (or suction) to lift the desoldered pins from the pcb), then work on the other side.
  • use a hot air rework station (expensive)
  • use a chisel type solder tip moving to and fro to heat all the pins/pads on one side of the IC while applying lifting pressure from below or suction from above to lift the IC from the PCN. Repeat on the other side of the IC
Note that you have to work fast to minimize heating of the IC. Otherwise you risk damage from overheating.

Gsc1ugs

Jan 24, 2017
I have a basic solder pump is that more useful because i need to reuse the component

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I have a basic solder pump is that more useful because i need to reuse the component
If that’s all you’ve got, it leaves you with little choice.
De-solder a pin at a time. Solder suckers work best by applying fresh solder first. Sounds counter intuitive but it works.

Martin