Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacing Cooling Fans

jai-krishna

Nov 12, 2014
Hi everyone,
I am a complete novice with electronics & I want to replace 2 cooling fans in my sim racing wheel - they are rated as 5V DC 0.14A & 5V DC 0.19A.
What will happen if I can only source replacements that offer Amp ratings of 0.02 either side of the standard specs? If the Amp rating is slightly lower or higher than standard what effect is it likely to have & is it okay to do this?
Any advice is most welcome!
Thanks.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
I would have thought the original design would have some over head to drive a bit more current, but unless you know the circuit you can't assume anything. As long as the working voltage of the fan is the same then running a lower power fan will be ok. Match the voltage and current if possible else go for a slightly lower power fan as long as it does the job.
Adam

jai-krishna

Nov 12, 2014
I would have thought the original design would have some over head to drive a bit more current, but unless you know the circuit you can't assume anything. As long as the working voltage of the fan is the same then running a lower power fan will be ok. Match the voltage and current if possible else go for a slightly lower power fan as long as it does the job.
Adam

Thanks for your reply Adam.
So the Amp rating equals current equals power? Dropping from a 0.14A fan to say a 0.12A actually means it's a lower power fan? Does a 0.02A reduction equate to slightly lower power (providing adequate cooling is maintained)?
Thanks,
Paul.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Power is voltage multiplied by current. So if voltage is constant (which it is), power is proportional to current. Lower power = lower current.

Yes, if the existing fans draw 0.14A, you can replace them with ones that draw 0.12A, as long as the voltages are the same.

Yes, the reduced current equates to reduced power drawn by the fan. As long as the new fans provide enough cooling, you're good to go.

jai-krishna

Nov 12, 2014
Power is voltage multiplied by current. So if voltage is constant (which it is), power is proportional to current. Lower power = lower current.

Yes, if the existing fans draw 0.14A, you can replace them with ones that draw 0.12A, as long as the voltages are the same.

Yes, the reduced current equates to reduced power drawn by the fan. As long as the new fans provide enough cooling, you're good to go.
That's great, many thanks for your support - much appreciated!