Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sennheiser HD205 Problem

franksarms

Mar 23, 2013
So basically, I was going to use my headphones when I realized that the sound had become very noticeably worse. It's hard to say, but I think the sound coming through on the ear opposite to where the lead connects into the headset is fine, but the ear where the lead connects directly into has become much quieter. In some songs the singer could no longer be heard and other instruments had become much louder and it just makes songs so terrible to listen to!
However I discovered that if I hold the jack in the the slot up to the point just before it clicks in, the headphones are then perfect, but once I go past that click it gets worse again. For a short while I used tape to hold it in place where it worked and that was grand but I want to find a permanent solution!
I've cut off the jack and replaced it with a different one and the exact same problem persists so I could only assume that the jack isn't the problem...right??

Any advice on how I could remedy this problem would be very kind of ye because when these headphones are working right they are so lovely!!

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Almost always, it's the wire to the plug.
Many times I've cut back the wire at the plug, only to find the break (or shorted wiring) in the wire is
back further in the cable.
I'm wondering from your description, if you're talking about the plug (from the headphones), or the jack in the amplifier.
From your description, this particular problem may in fact be a problem with the
jack in the amplifier itself. A bent leaf spring, or dirty contacts.
Do you have a second set of headphones, just to run a check if the problem is your
headphone, or the jack itself in the amplifier. That would help you narrow-down the
exact cause.

franksarms

Mar 23, 2013
Sorry i should have made this clearer I'm just talking about the plug as is the one which would go into a laptop or mp3 player from the headphones themselves. So would you recommend i just start taking a bit off at a time to see if I find a bread in the wire?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
to see if I find a bread in the wire?

I find that breaks are more common :)

Sometimes you can run the cable through your fingers, flexing it as it passes through them and find a "sensitive" position which may indicate the location of a break.

I find that almost all breaks occur near the "strain relief" in the cable, unless the cable has been subject to some localized mechanical stress.