Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Silent Switch for MIDI Surface Controller

MIDIMAKER

Jan 19, 2024
Please could someone advise me to which switch I could use.

I'm looking to improve on the design of a MIDI Surface Controller I have made.
The main issue is that I'm using 12mmx12mm tactile momentary switches with a cap, which has a significant 'click'
when pressed. I'm looking for something to replace the switches ( there are 30 in the design) that has a similar, or smaller footprint
to the ones I'm currently using. Importantly the switches have to be relatively quiet in operation.
I also use Cherry MX Red switches in the design, and although these are quiet enough, they are too large to fit into the PCB design.

To sum up: I need a recommendation of a (near) silent switch, no larger than 12mmx12mm with a cap available to fit it.
Any one have any ideas?

Cheers

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Any one have any ideas?
Welcome to maker pro!
Clarification is needed.
1) Are you switching a matrix in your MIDI surface controller?
2) Is this a high side switch low side switch?
3) Why is there a capacitor on your tactile momentary switch?
4) Can you show me Your design?
I'll be back... I got to go watch the Teletubbies now.

MIDIMAKER

Jan 19, 2024
Hi Delta Prime

I'm not sure what you mean by " switching a matrix" or what you mean by " Is this a high side switch low side switch?"
I'm sorry if my terminology is wrong. I don't mean a capacitor, I mean a Button Cap / hat

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Photos of the current device so we can see what kind of space we have to work with?

PCB or wired switches?

ak

MIDIMAKER

Jan 19, 2024
Hi AnalogKid,
PCB mounted ... I've attached a couple of images of the current prototype using the 12mmx12mm momentary switches

Attachments

• 20240119_182421.jpg
    20240119_182421.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240119_182452.jpg
    20240119_182452.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 5

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Soft typing, silent, no noise smaller footprint 6x6 mm by 5 mm Hight.
Use only as reference please...

MIDIMAKER

Jan 19, 2024
Soft typing, silent, no noise smaller footprint 6x6 mm by 5 mm Hight.
Use only as reference please...
Hi Delta Prime,
I have many of these type of switches, and there is a clear audible click when using them.
I cannot see anything in the product description referring to quiet operation.
The switches I currently use are the same form factor, only twice the size.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Please could someone advise me to which switch I could use.

The main issue is that I'm using 12mmx12mm tactile momentary switches with a cap, which has a significant 'click'
when pressed. I'm looking for something to replace the switches ( there are 30 in the design) that has a similar, or smaller footprint
to the ones I'm currently using. Importantly the switches have to be relatively quiet in operation.
I also use Cherry MX Red switches in the design, and although these are quiet enough, they are too large to fit into the PCB design.

To sum up: I need a recommendation of a (near) silent switch, no larger than 12mmx12mm with a cap available to fit it.
Any one have any ideas?

Cheers
It was my assessment I bought those switches they are silent and I have used many in my designs.
You are looking for advice I was only trying to help. Good luck to you.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
'Noisy' key switches are as a result of them using a domed metal disk that provides the 'spring return' needed to keep the key 'open'. The only other types that are actually noise free are those with genuine springs - as you might find on a computer keypad - or that operate using resistive or capacitive sensing i.e. membrane types.

Membrane keypads can be had with simple make-contacts and are known as MATRIX keypad like this:

Screenshot from 2024-01-20 19-41-26.png

This would work but you're stuck with the profile they are offered in - commonly as shown with 0-9 and some lettering. I understand that you can purchase similar type keypads with semi-translucent overlays that accept your own print and even some companies that will make them to order in the shape and lettering of your choice (expensive).

I'd suggest you find yourself an old PC keyboard that uses a rubber (latex) membrane for the key spring return function as these are still quite common but you'll have to do your own fettling to make the arrangement fit your requirement.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Conductive rubber key switches are very quiet, with a slightly tactile but almost completely inaudible little thump. The tradeoff is that the contact resistance can be tens of ohms.

ak