Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Slot car power supply ?

kidthorazine

Jan 20, 2013
Hi folks and folkettes Richard here and its my first post so here go's. I have a Scalextric classic slot car set and the power supply wall wart is dead. At present I am using a fully regulated power supply (13.8 volts DC/ 6 amps) The track itself only see's 12 volts DC because part of the original power supply's electronics is part of the power base track (4 diodes,couple resisters) What I want to do is bypass or remove the leftover electronics so the slot cars will get the full voltage as they are rated for up to 20 volts. The track has 2 slots,one for each car with a metal strip running on each side of the slot for plus and minus DC volts. There are 2 2 wire controlers 1 for each car. The power supply connects to the track by a 2 wire mini jack. Can someone show me a diagram or explain (in laymans terms) how to wire everything please. Thank you for your time

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Take it apart and take nice clear pictures of what is existing as far as electronics, both top and bottom so we can see what is going on... Chances are it's just a bridge rectifier because the original supply was AC not DC... You can easily bypass this rectifier if you use a DC source...

Also note that the small voltage increase likely won't cause any issues, but if you were to push 20V the rheostats in the controllers might fail or at the very least run very hot and might cause damage...