Maker Pro
Maker Pro

stop/tail led problems

grstools

Nov 11, 2013
Hi All, first post, so here goes.
I'm trying to put led stop/tail bulbs in my Renault Trafic mini bus and need your help. I've got normal led bulbs in and they work ok but now and again they drop out especially when I use the indicators. Its only now and again this happens. The dash lights all go out so I know its happened so just turn headlamp switch a touch and all is ok again. I put resistors in both rear looms close to the bulbs but they burned out!!!! These were connected to the tail side of the lamp and earth. Did I do this right? or should they be connected to the brake side wire? Anyway, I decided on more expensive bulbs with internal resistors and this became a problem. Soon as you put them in, the brake side of the bulb lights up.Split the brake light wire and side lamp is on ok, touch split wire on and off and brake side lights up and off just as pressing a brake pedal. Tested voltage on both sides and got 13+ tail side and 3.6 on brake side. Connect brake wire again and on all the time on bright. Can I put a diode [IN4004] in somewhere to stop the current reaching the brake side of the bulb until I press the pedal? The only common thing between the two lives is the earth and am wondering if I'm getting current back to the brake side through the earth and the resistor included bulb. I'd love to know how to do this but going back to a normal incandescent bulb isn't a problem. Bye for now, grstools.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Faulty operation of a lamp cluster is often due to poor earth so that the cluster is earthed through other lights.

You say you have a resistor between light and earth, if this resistor carries the current for more than one light, it is wrong.

A circuit diagram is worth a thousand words.