Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Successful monitor repair

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
I got a 19" HANNS-G HW191D monitor from the recycle bin at work and upon testing it out, I realized that the backlight did not work. I could hold a flashlight to the screen and see what was being displayed. I took the monitor apart and inspected the CCFL driver board. It had 8 swelled caps and nothing else looked strange. This monitor was probably used in a hot area as I work in a factory that produces glass. I had all necessary caps to replace which I salvaged from other gadgets. All soldered up and back together, I powered it up and TADA! it now works. I have been using it for a whole day and no issues so far. If it goes out again, I will just ditch it as I don't have anything invested but about an hour work.

Last edited:

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Good one. Always nice to hear a success story :).

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Well done Bigone5500, it's so obvoius that manufacturers need to find another way to keep caps away from heat. Or better still, a way to stop them being the number 1 failure prone component!
It will probably outlast new monitors bought today!!:) If low ESR and high temp caps were used..

Martin

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
I failed to note the specs on the caps I used but the ones I replaced are a brand called 'Elite'. All of them were 105C rated.

Edited original post: it was a CCFL board.

What's funny is, I searched for this monitor to get an idea of its worth. All I could come up with was a Google shopping page for replacement caps and a new board...and for some reason...wait for it...a pair of orange halloween panties...WHAT?????!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=HAN...d=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#tbm=shop&q=HW191D

Last edited:

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
So far, so good. Been using it every day and no issues.

It's sad. I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of dollars are wasted every day by people discarding 'faulty' electronic equipment. I think there should be a place in every city where folks bring their bad devices and drop them off for others to try and repair. Kinda like a flea market for junk that don't work...oh wait, that's called a garage sale...

Maybe they could even auction the stuff off on weekends.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Sad?
People too lazy to try to repair their equipment is where I got my best stuff!
Heave-ho, all you people with too much money to burn and no incentive to repair what you have.

bigone5500

Apr 9, 2014
I know most consumers will have no knowledge of how to repair their equipment. I used sad, but I suppose I am saddened by it. Maybe 'cause I don't get first dibs on it...???

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Heck, these days most consumers can't find anybody who'll repair their broken electronics at a reasonable price.
I pick-up trashed gear, fix it, and then can't resell it cause it's not the newest, best-est upgraded one on the market.
My house is full of CRT TV's that nobody wants anymore. Almost as bad as all those Beta tapes I bought way back when.
But for me, I might have gear that's a couple generations too old, but just fine by me. And my credit cards are paid-up to prove it.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
I don't mind, i rescued a dead samsung 40inch lcd/cfl tv someone threw out! 12 months later still going :D