Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Technics SL-P101 CD-Drive Door Won't Open

djmt1287

Jul 18, 2016
Hello!

I recently obtained a barely used Technics SL-P101 CD player from my girlfriend's father. The unit itself is in fairly good condition with little signs of use. HOWEVER -- when I push the Open/Close button for the CD, you can hear the mechanics doing something within the unit and the "Drive" light appears on the display but the door itself will not move. I took the unit apart and removed the CD drive so that I could access the belt and see if it was damaged. The belt looks fine and when I move the gears with my fingers, I am able to move the CD drive open and closed. Just for good measure, I lubricated the gears before putting everything back together but when I power it on and pushed the Open/Close button again I was left with the same issue...the CD door won't open. Could this be a motor issue? Or could it be something else? In which case, it is repairable or not worth the time?

Any insight/help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Dan

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Dan . . . . . . .

You can hear the load motor running . . . .but can you visually see its motor pulley engaged to the belt.
I'll bet that the belt has "sagged" enough with time, that it is not griping within the pulley, and is slipping.

73's de Edd