Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Those that forget the past.....

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
This is not a complaint or a request for argument but merely an observation and an expression of my opinion. Regarding the attachment, I do not agree with the first paragraph. I think it looks like something AI would compose. In my opinion, an analogy would be, "Long distance travel by men was impossible before the invention of the internal combustion engine." Maybe as the rate of advancements in technology increases, the depth of history decreases. My opinions that follow are not meant to be partisan in any manner but more so related to the human condition of present of the US citizen. I have never participated in war but knew of many that have. They exhibited an undercurrent of caution as far as voting on or supporting new movements. A guarded sort of reaction to new ideas. I think much of the generations younger than myself are missing even the slightest experiences that made previous generations Leary and suspicious of political sway. It seems so obvious to me that tyrants and other insane entities will always come about with their delusions of grandeur and total lack of empathy. To a couple younger persons to whom I tried to instill some caution of powers that be, they seemed to shrug my warnings off with a line of thinking that people just don't do those sort of things anymore. The world is sophisticated and too civilized to bluster about with intent to overtake other societies. Like Google will keep the lid on everything. Perhaps in trying to shelter the young from the terrible evils in the word, we have done them a disservice and made them vulnerable to real world shysters. So can you name a nondigital circuit you may have come across in your experiences?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230713-202959.png
    Screenshot_20230713-202959.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 6

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
So can you name a nondigital circuit you may have come across in your experiences?
How about:
- amplifiers
- LC-oscillators
- audio mixers
- classic radios, TVs
- analog thermostats
- in fact, any analog circuit
- etc. etc.

No. Digital circuits are made out of analog parts.
You're saying that all digital circuits are made of analog parts, which is in a way true, but then the "no" at the beginning is a contradiction. It should be "yes" with regard to the question because you have come across many non-digital circuits then.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
How about:
- amplifiers
- LC-oscillators
- audio mixers
- classic radios, TVs
- analog thermostats
- etc. etc.

You're saying that all digital circuits are made of analog parts, which is in a way true, but then the "no" at the beginning is a contradiction. It should be "yes" with regard to the question because you have come across many non-digital circuits then.
I was going to use the am radios of the 1960s but after remembering the creation of the ABC in 1937, I thought their could be a conflict in there somewhere. So, I'll cite pre-1937 am radios where from the broadcaster's lips to the listener's ear, there was not a digital signal to be detected.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230713-221026.png
    Screenshot_20230713-221026.png
    362.1 KB · Views: 2

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
How about:
- amplifiers
- LC-oscillators
- audio mixers
- classic radios, TVs
- analog thermostats
- etc. etc.

No, is a complete sentence.
It does not require an explanation to follow.
Offering instead an area to focus upon in his comments.
You have just participated in a quantum entanglement.

My answer "no" to your question, approaches 100% when accustomed to hearing yes.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Pre the digital era all computers were of the analogue persuasion and indeed any mathematical function can be replicated using analogue functions/circuitry. In terms of component-count, analogue beats digital hands down.

Digital only came into its own when the necessary speed restrictions were overcome and then the 'scaling' of micro-circuitry took over.

Analogue systems still exist and are, in some cases, superior to digital - although the limitations are gradually disappearing.

The statement, in the OPs attachment, is arse-about-face. Analogue is the CORE of every project. Conversion to digital only exploits our mass production/miniaturisation capabilities.

Last edited:

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Pre the digital era all computers were of the analogue persuasion and indeed any mathematical function can be replicated using analogue functions/circuitry. In terms of component-count, analogue beats digital hands down.

Digital only came into its own when the necessary speed restrictions were overcome and then the 'scaling' of micro-circuitry took over.

Analogue systems still exist and are, in some cases, superior to digital - although the limitations are gradually disappearing.

The statement, in the OPs attachment, is arse-about-face. Analogue is the CORE of every project. Conversion to digital only exploits our mass production/miniaturisation capabilities.
Agreed. All of man's senses can perceive only analog information. I'll venture a WAG and say all original releases of the Beatle's (the British invasion) albums were free of any digital signal conditioning.

HANKMARS

Jul 28, 2019
Agreed. All of man's senses can perceive only analog information. I'll venture a WAG and say all original releases of the Beatle's (the British invasion) albums were free of any digital signal conditioning.
Digital signal processing is a more accurate term here. Signal conditioning, in my opinion, relates more so to analog data.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Agreed. All of man's senses can perceive only analog information

A neuron in the brain either fires or does not. 1,0.On & Off. Almost digital, more like spikes.
Information in the brain is represented in terms of statistical approximations and estimations rather than exact values kind of like analog, but not really, our brain works using a signal processing "paradigm" that has some properties in common with both analog and digital.

. Signal conditioning, in my opinion, relates more so to analog data
I'm on the fence, with that opinion!

1689330504639.png